No announcement yet.

The EOMA68 Upgradeable ARM Board/Computer Passed Its Funding Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Edit) On the main topic - I backed the project, and I'm thrilled it reached the funding target. I'm underwhelmed by the specs, but like the project founder and presumably all of the other backers I want to see the concept take off. And using a PC with the computing power of a cell phone from five years ago is not the terrible burden today that it would have been ten years ago. It's still a burden - but at the rate cell phones are advancing, if my 2026 EOMA68 has the computing power of a Samsung Galaxy S9 or a OnePlus Five, I'll probably be able to run servers and develop software with a full desktop-level IDE on it. That's the future I want.

And once (if) I get my first working EOMA68 device and the other ones ship in working order, I'll order one of the laptops too. No offense to the founders, but I was willing to bet $120 on the project but not $500. Once the project has more evidence of consistent production success, I'll spend the $500.

(End Edit)

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Too complex. Most people will just see an egyptian fish with feet.
    I got the joke instantly. But then I live and drive in an area where I see a few cars with the Darwin fish bumper sticker or bizarre Christian parodies of it at least once a week.
    Last edited by Michael_S; 28 August 2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      I got the joke instantly. But then I live and drive in an area where I see a few cars with the Darwin fish bumper sticker or bizarre Christian parodies of it at least once a week.
      I had to wikipedia it.
      And I live in a place where live Pope's speeches appear on the first public TV channel every sunday morning.

Must be yet another silly non-catholic thing. Where is the Holy Inquisiton when you need it...

Comment

Too complex. Most people will just see an egyptian fish with feet.
        I fail to understand the "Egyptian" part of the fish.

(But on the other hand, I've studied old-greek, so the "Jesus"-fish immediately makes sens to me.

I had to wikipedia it.
        And I live in a place where live Pope's speeches appear on the first public TV channel every sunday morning.

Must be yet another silly non-catholic thing.
        In all seriousness, christian uses of the fish symbol indeed predates catholicism:
        Should be some very early christian greek (thus orthodox, but before it was considered so) symbol, at a time when Christianity wasn't widespread or even recognized.
        In greek, the initials of Jesus's full name happen to spell "fish".

Where is the Holy Inquisiton when you need it...
        But... NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !!!

Comment

I backed the project too. Bought all the things (including the DIY laptop version), except the breakout board (I'm not much of a hardware guy) and the fish logo (as I didn't get the reference at the time and it wasn't explained on the Crowd Supply website). I would rather an 11" laptop since that would fit in my bike pannier making the laptop infinitely more useful to me, but I wanted to show my support.

Regarding the logo again it were related to the flying spaghetti monster instead, I likely would have got the reference - although it's been years since I've seen anything reference it.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
            I fail to understand the "Egyptian" part of the fish.
            The feet are drawn without perspective, only profile. Just like Egyptian drawings (technically any culture of their times did draw like that because proper perspective in drawings was invented a millenia after them)

In all seriousness, christian uses of the fish symbol indeed predates catholicism:
            It existed when Romans were persecuting christians, it then went into disuse.
            Then some non-canon christians (that would be called "dirty heretics" if we were a few centuries ago) decided to pull it up again in VERY recent times and use it for no real reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
              And once (if) I get my first working EOMA68 device and the other ones ship in working order, I'll order one of the laptops too. No offense to the founders, but I was willing to bet $120 on the project but not $500. Once the project has more evidence of consistent production success, I'll spend the $500.
              that's cool. everyone's different, and there's a lot to get done.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                the one keeeey element is surpriiiise. surpriiise and.... the twooo key elements are....

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                  I backed the project too. Bought all the things (including the DIY laptop version), except the breakout board (I'm not much of a hardware guy) and the fish logo (as I didn't get the reference at the time and it wasn't explained on the Crowd Supply website). I would rather an 11" laptop since that would fit in my bike pannier making the laptop infinitely more useful to me, but I wanted to show my support.
                  appreciated. from experience with developing the 15.6in laptop it's a *full year* of time required to do casework design, PCB design and component sourcing. they all have to be done together as even the smallest change (connector placement) can have massive ramifications.

Regarding the logo again it were related to the flying spaghetti monster instead, I likely would have got the reference - although it's been years since I've seen anything reference it.
                  it's not a logo. i just thought it'd be hilarious. the "noodly appendages" is taking it a bit far though. with the reference to "darwin evolution", "Computing R/E-volution" makes a lot more sense. the noodly appendages is too much of a piss-take of the religious aspects; eoma68 doesn't have anything to do with religion, but "Reverse-Engineering-Evolution" makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by lkcl View Post
                    appreciated. from experience with developing the 15.6in laptop it's a *full year* of time required to do casework design, PCB design and component sourcing. they all have to be done together as even the smallest change (connector placement) can have massive ramifications.
                    Makes sense. I think I read somewhere that you are considering doing a smaller one in future, so that would be neat. I'd personally love a higher resolution laptop screen even more than increased performance, but I'm sure there are many complications. Anyway, there's enough on your plate for the immediate future.

Hope getting everything ready goes as smooth as possible. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X