Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EOMA68 Upgradeable ARM Board/Computer Passed Its Funding Goal

Phoronix: The EOMA68 Upgradeable ARM Board/Computer Passed Its Funding Goal

The open, upgradeable ARM development board that traces back to the failed KDE Vivaldi project managed to pass its funding goal just in time. This open-source hardware project currently powered by some older Allwinner hardware managed to raise more than $170k...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What were they thinking with that logo? Good grief. Sorry, no thanks.

Comment

Yeah, an egyptian fish with feet summarizes very well the project.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Yeah, an egyptian fish with feet summarizes very well the project.
        *ROTFL*, you know where that comes from, don't you? it's a parody of a parody: the "Darwin Evolution" joke.... substituted EOMA68 for "Darwin" and called it "R/E-volution" as in "Reverse / Engineering" i seriously considered using the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" variant but i figured that a parody of a parody of a parody would be a step too far.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: The EOMA68 Upgradeable ARM Board/Computer Passed Its Funding Goal

The open, upgradeable ARM development board that traces back to the failed KDE Vivaldi project managed to pass its funding goal just in time. This open-source hardware project currently powered by some older Allwinner hardware managed to raise more than $170k...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...8-Funding-Goal
          i get the impression you're completely amazed, phoronix (so am i but that's another story) - it basically says that i got the story right, which is that there are (just) enough people willing to go back to "good enough" computing - back a few years in technology time - to get control over their hardware again. but here's the thing: if i hadn't done this as a "modular upgradeable" system, it would have been an extremely tough sell - i doubt very much if it would have succeeded (not least because *i* wouldn't be able to believe in something that was non-upgradeable).

what's really nice is that over the next year and beyond we'll have an *established* community. explaining things the second time round gets much easier. it was absolute hell explaining this totally new concept to people, as they struggled to understand it by comparing it *directly* to things that they knew well - e.g. "why should i spend $1200 when i can get a macbook pro for that" (forgetting that this is crowd-funded and a macbook pro is mass-produced).

so... yeah... hell of a lot of work still to do, man...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            which logo? we don't have an official logo. haven't made one yet. if you'd like to help make one feel free to join the mailing list arm-netbook and discuss some ideas.

Comment

I had no idea what the logo was a reference to. I don't recall ever seeing a fish symbol like that before... but I'm not religious, don't drive, and I'm not American.

But searching for the Darwin Evolution joke took me to this page which explains it all quite well.

Comment

@lkcl Been following EOMA68 for a while now, really glad it got funded! hope to play with one in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Which logo? And thats the only important thing? Good god!

Comment

Originally posted by lkcl View Post
                    *ROTFL*, you know where that comes from, don't you? it's a parody of a parody: the "Darwin Evolution" joke.... substituted EOMA68 for "Darwin" and called it "R/E-volution" as in "Reverse / Engineering" i seriously considered using the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" variant but i figured that a parody of a parody of a parody would be a step too far.
                    Too complex. Most people will just see an egyptian fish with feet.

Comment

Working...
                    X