Razer Lachesis 4000DPI Mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit late...

I actually don't understand this article came out now as I own this mouse for at least half a year already!

I would not buy this mouse again - see the quoted message and it's resolution below. The best gaming experience I had so far was using the Razer Copperhead, but now I am used to this mouse.

Originally posted by Mescalamba View Post
    ..Ive bought it recently. The good is, that it really looks nice, it has quite good ergonomy (plus its ambidextrous). Surface of mouse is really good, its like velvet. And.. thats all good.

First you must update firmware, or you cant use mouse properly (in bad case its unusable at all). If you flash it and it works, you are lucky guy (cause its has nice percetange of reclamations due flash failure).

Second, it does have really thin padsurfers so when you use mouse pad like eXactMat, youll get nice scratches on mouse bottom. And cause they are thin, it slows mouse movement. Plus they are gone quite fast.

Third, mouse sensor just sux. If you get one that actually work at 4000DPi, you are very lucky guy, mine is usable to maybe 2500 DPi, if I set it higher, it works for some time (like half an hour) and after that it starts jumping or moving on its own (tested on more than one PC and on more surfaces that you can imagine, including few progaming mouse pads).

Im really disappointed with this mouse. And when I get my new infrared mouse, Ill send this back to shop.

So, conclusion.. when it works, its great mouse (maybe best), problem is, that it works for maybe 50/100 ppl. For its price, every mouse they produce should be perfect.

PS: Not mentioning poor or none usability under linux systems..
    Make sure you peel off the sticker on the bottom - this is actually an official recommendation from Razer! And clean the bottom and lens with alcohol (Don't do anything stupid like trying nail polisher!!) - see here: http://www.razersupport.com/index.ph...barticleid=133

I had the same issue and this freaking laser is so damn sensitive that a tiny bit of dust upsets it and the mouse starts jumping - the sticker makes matters worse.

I personally use a Razer Destructor mouse pad (hard surface) this mouse is pretty much unusable on a cloth pad as clicking will move the cursor and little cloth particles upset the laser.

There is a number of issues with this mouse you won't realize before you own the mouse for a while - you might even notice the mouse moves somewhat "sluggish" at times. Just check http://razerblueprints.net/ for full coverage of issues.

Comment

Hm.. yes..

..I know that I should remove that sticker, point is, if something happenes, for e-tailer here it has warrenty lost. So I cant make it.

Ill just send it back and request DeathAdder probably, optical or infra red mouses served me great since they exists, only laser mouses kinda sux (had G5, same issues as Lachesis, sometimes worse). Im pretty angry on Razer.. plus that "compatibility" with eXactMat.. thats insane (it sux on eXactMat, in case you dont know, maybe is Destructor better, but for that price it should be made from gold, plus eXactMat isnt exactly cheap mousepad).

Anyway, thanks much for info especially that site, it comes handy.

And yes, I wouldnt buy it again.. (maybe Ill buy Copperhead if you said its good - have you any problems with that?).

Comment

Originally posted by Mescalamba View Post
        ..I know that I should remove that sticker, point is, if something happenes, for e-tailer here it has warrenty lost. So I cant make it.

Ill just send it back and request DeathAdder probably, optical or infra red mouses served me great since they exists, only laser mouses kinda sux (had G5, same issues as Lachesis, sometimes worse). Im pretty angry on Razer.. plus that "compatibility" with eXactMat.. thats insane (it sux on eXactMat, in case you dont know, maybe is Destructor better, but for that price it should be made from gold, plus eXactMat isnt exactly cheap mousepad).

Anyway, thanks much for info especially that site, it comes handy.

And yes, I wouldnt buy it again.. (maybe Ill buy Copperhead if you said its good - have you any problems with that?).
        Since it is an official knowledgebase article you should get away with it.

I used eXactMat, Mantis Control and Razer Destructor:
        • Copperhead: works fine on all three surfaces (prefered the control side of the eXactMat)
        • Lachesis on eXactMat: looses tracking, so fast moves are not very precise
        • Lachesis on Mantis: Tracking is fine, but when click, the cursor moves a few pixel - which again is bad
        • Lachesis on Destructor: Feels great but I can't loose the feeling it is a bit sluggish compared to the Copperhead - maybe it is just because of the past experience

Don't forget: I removed the sticker as even on Destructor with the sticker I run into the same problem!!!

The destructor is a different story - when I unpacked it I thought the packaging is more worth than the pad itself. I expected something made from metal like the eXactMat, but it is made from plastic. Today I must admit that I wouldn't change it for another one! At Amazon (at least in Germany) it costs little more than the eXactMat.

I wonder how the Roccat Kone feels... - http://www.roccat.org/Products/Products/ROCCAT-Kone/

Glad I could help!
        Last edited by xxxA08xxx; 16 September 2008, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Wow, that Roccat looks great, hope its as good as it looks. Now I know what brand will have my future mouse (mouse pad) and keyboard.

Comment

Razer totally sucks in my opinion and I said that as someone that was one of their fans... I bought a Copperhead and a Lachesis. The copperhead was great but the left mouse button stopped working correctly after only two years -> completely unacceptable for a 60 $ mouse.

I decided not to give up on Razer even with this problem, as the Copperhead had been a great mouse overall. So I bought a Lachesis.

For a 80$ mouse it is a total disaster, and Razer should be ashamed of themselves. The first firmware was so bad that the mouse was almost unusable; the firmware correcting some issues was released monthes after they started to sell the first mice (!!)

Even with the latest firmware, the mouse periodically jumps or won't move, I still use it but I have become used to those disasters... A $10 Logitech mouse would be better I think.

Never again will I buy from Razer (oh, and to top that, they have no Linux support). I am looking to another company to buy my next mouse, Roccat may be an option, or Logitech - Logitech mice are excellent in terms of quality, that's not the case with Razer...

PS: at my previous job I had a Razer Pro Mouse. That one was fine, but I only used it for a year, I guess it may have suffered from the same problem as the Copperhead if I continued to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by elvanor View Post
              Razer totally sucks in my opinion and I said that as someone that was one of their fans... I bought a Copperhead and a Lachesis. The copperhead was great but the left mouse button stopped working correctly after only two years -> completely unacceptable for a 60 $ mouse.

I decided not to give up on Razer even with this problem, as the Copperhead had been a great mouse overall. So I bought a Lachesis.

For a 80$ mouse it is a total disaster, and Razer should be ashamed of themselves. The first firmware was so bad that the mouse was almost unusable; the firmware correcting some issues was released monthes after they started to sell the first mice (!!)

Even with the latest firmware, the mouse periodically jumps or won't move, I still use it but I have become used to those disasters... A $10 Logitech mouse would be better I think.

Never again will I buy from Razer (oh, and to top that, they have no Linux support). I am looking to another company to buy my next mouse, Roccat may be an option, or Logitech - Logitech mice are excellent in terms of quality, that's not the case with Razer...

PS: at my previous job I had a Razer Pro Mouse. That one was fine, but I only used it for a year, I guess it may have suffered from the same problem as the Copperhead if I continued to use it.
              I bought ROCCAT Kone about 7 months ago, still using it, still best mouse I ever had. Its succesful in every aspect of being gaming mouse. Only drawback can be practical lack of third mouse button (its there, just that wheel is really hard to press). But gaming with that, its awesome..

Comment

Had a Razer Lachesis (4000dpi version) for about a month now, and was curious about your comments regarding it's performance on the eXactmat.

I swear the tracking sensor causes the cursor to skip/jump whenever it hits a 'wet' patch (yes, my hand sweats a little in AU). I *only* seem to notice this issue when it's over a small shiner/wetter spot on the mousepad.

Can anyone else evidence this?

I assume it's due to the "more precise" (less?) laser sensor, my 1600dpi Diamondback Plasma *NEVER* experienced this issue in 5 years. Sadly, it's buttons stopped working (what do you think my chances are of getting Razer to replace it?)

Was anyone successful in having Razer swap the mouse for another (higher end?) model?

Another (minor) issue with the Lachesis is my system immediately wakes up from S3 sleep while the mouse is connected (but it's a 5 year old motherboard - I have to replug it in at boot under Windows and sometimes under Linux for it to power-up, so it's probably not-quite getting the 5V and might be getting a small jolt on S3 power-down). Anyone also experienced this & any suggested fixes?

Comment

I've moved my lachesis to my mythbox. though not under heavy usage anymore, it seems to play nice. I have a sphex mouse pad for it.
                  I've also use this: http://bu3sch.de/joomla/index.php/ra...en-config-tool

I've gone from a copperhead, lachesis, mamba.. IMHO the copperhead was the best, maybe from the use of http://sourceforge.net/projects/razertool/

I'm also from Aus..

Comment

Working...
                  X