Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Developer Proposes "Kernel NET Policy" For Better Linux Network Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is most definitely needed. 40G performance on Linux is awful to say the least. Even on the very latest Fedora and latest i40e drivers. While they're at it, they might as well fix randomly dropped links and other cr@p that's constant with i40e across distros.

On Windows at least the connection's stable but performance is even worse.

And guys here commenting, lol, no, this has nothing to do with your gaming rig, 1G has overcame all the challenges half a decade ago. Please don't confuse this with horrible Realtek chipsets and stuff, that's not due to a bad stack but simply weak chips.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I heard World of Warcraft players and other players use something called Leatrix Latency Fix on OS X and Windows.
      That thing changes TCPAckFrequency on windows, which means prioritizing acknowledgements on TCP traffic from one every 2 packets to one every packet.

Windows waits 200 ms before sending acks by default so it can send only one ack per 2 packets, this leads to retarded network performance.

On linux the ack delay should be like 40 ms and there is no bs like trying to send one ack per 2 packets, so that's a non-issue on linux.

I have no idea about OSX and I don't even care.

EDIT: please note, ack delay is the time the system waits before sending an acknowledgement answer, not time added on latency.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 July 2016, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post

Throughput is a lot better, latency is the same.
        I don't think so. I always had much better latency under Linux in Quake 3 and UT2k4..

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
          QoS programs and high quality NICs were all the rage in the 2000's just because...
          ... Windows's TCP stack at the time was complete shit and by XP or Vista (don't remember) was basically dumped and replaced with something else that is still shit but much less than before.

Btw, QoS is useful to prioritize traffic in congested networks, which is another problem alltogether. QoS applies only to LAN traffic going to WAN, but once it is in WAN it's the ISP's QoS infrastructure that deals with your stuff.

10-20ms difference is quite large in FPS games.
          FYI: average PC-router latency is less than 1 ms if using ethernet on linux.

Unfortunately you can't really test like that. You need to use fucking traceroute and see yourself how the hops through ISP and other shit outside your network add 99% of the latency
          fixed.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 July 2016, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            Please don't confuse this with horrible Realtek chipsets and stuff, that's not due to a bad stack but simply weak chips.
            Realtek hardware is plenty for gaming. The issue is either the driver (windows/linux) or the TCP stack of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Realtek hardware is plenty for gaming. The issue is either the driver (windows/linux) or the TCP stack of Windows.
              Yeah right, the Windows stack can handle 20-30Gbps with Intel, but it can't handle Realtek's awesomeness. Funny guy.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Yeah right, the Windows stack can handle 20-30Gbps with Intel, but it can't handle Realtek's awesomeness. Funny guy.
                We are talking of latency you retarded dumbfuck, not bandwith.

Gaming does not saturate 10 Mbit, so any bandwith beyond that is pointless for gaming. If a NIC cannot handle 10 Mbit of traffic it's not worth being called NIC at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  I would love to see the kernel improved to a point where it can go up against Cisco IOS. It's one area where Linux hasn't gotten a foothold yet...at least as far as I know.
                  Uh, almost every Cisco device I know of IOS doesn't do any networking at all. It runs on the configuration processor but all of the ACTUAL network handling is done in silicon.

Cisco did do some nasty hacks in the past to "support" IPv6 by handling it on the CPU but that was never a good idea and they don't do that on anything modern, AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                  X