Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    I intentionally plan to stick to low-DPI monitors
    as you could see, i never argued for high-dpi monitors, i even said that it is not a requirement. though 1280 is not only low-dpi, but also low-res

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
      1. Ofcourse they do. Designers have to make some sort of compromise between LCD cells speed, polarization strength etc and price.
      fast ips's are priced close to fast tn's
      Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
      2. DP is not only problem. On list of the problems, that's probably smallest one. Probme is bandwidth this is demanding from RAM, especially if you are working with APU, which has ordinary DDR3/4, which isn't particularly wide and it jhas to share it with both GPU and CPU. Especially with CPU this can hurt.
      single memory channel has order of magnitude more bandwidth than dp. i hope your apu has two.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        fast ips's are priced close to fast tn's
        single memory channel has order of magnitude more bandwidth than dp. i hope your apu has two.
        That just means that IPS has made the jump needed to compete with TN speedwise, at least in soem applications, at the moment. Id doesn't mean that current fast IPS models cover everything one might want ( viewing angle, color uniformity, real bit depth etc).

WRT to bandwithth:

1. It isn't as simple as waterflow. You can't just add numbers.

2. This is declared, marketing number, that is never reached. Real bandwidth is usually considerably lower.

3. Higher refresh rate consumes bandwith multiple times. Once when pixels are acquired for frame refresh, and once when they have to be recomputed. Why else would you have higher frame rate ?

4. All this doesn't just cut a part out of available bandwith, it considerably lifts latencies that CPU sees when accessing RAM.

5. Let's estimate at the numbers again: 2 DDR3 channels with 2133MHz times 8 bytes/transfer means roughly 32 GB/s - peak. Real number is problably at 25GB/s or lower.
        One 4k@144Hz needs 5GB/s out of that. How is that "order of magnitude" ? Keep in mind that if I want to have even good 2D animation, I need at least another 5GB/s for that display just to be able to draw a frame during the time monitor is showing last frame. That's at least 10GB/s, probably more, for simple 2D. And one monitor.
        With 2 or 3 of those on my system, I'm out of the bandwidth, even before CPU managed to step into equation for its needs.

Comment

Working...
        X