ASUS MG28UQ 4K 28-Inch Adaptive-Sync Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joh22n View Post
    I'm interested in getting myself a 28" 4k monitor but first I would like to know how display scaling works on Ubuntu with Unity. I've heard that text on 28" @ 4k is too small and you'd have to scale to make it more eye-friendly. What is your experience Michael: how is the text size for your eyes and have you tried display scaling on Unity to see whether everything scales nicely or not?

Thanks!
    Friendly advice: if you know from the start you'll need to scale, then you don't need all those pixels. Go with 1440 or 1600 instead.
    I'd go in some store and look at 4k and sub 4k models without scaling and let my eyes tell me what they actually need.

Comment

how can you seriously consider 60hz srgb dp1.2 monitors in 2016? being 4k on the other hand is not a requirement, at least you should check your software scaling and videocard performance beforehand

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        how can you seriously consider 60hz srgb dp1.2 monitors in 2016?
        That's perfectly adequate for everything except fast paced gaming and wide gamut photo/video editing. And I believe Michael has no use for either.

Comment

pal666: 144Hz brigns variaous compromises ( price/ viewing angle, color uniformity etc) htat many arent' willing to pay for. Bandwidth useage for frame refresh is not trivial. If you havee 4K@60Hz, you need roughly 4k * 2k * 4 ( bytes per pixel) * 60 = 2GB/s just for picture generation - so that the HW fetches all those pixels and send them through cable. At 144Hz you need more than twice that, or 5GB/s. That's not trivial, especially if you have multimonitor setup and/or are running from APU.

Comment

Running benq xl2411 (144Hz TN) atm, colors are objectively extreme shit, even compared to my 10 year old HP-ZR24w (SIPS panel).
            On the other hand, bought it for gaming and after calibration with color probe it's somewhat acceptable monitor for non-gaming stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Friendly advice: if you know from the start you'll need to scale, then you don't need all those pixels. Go with 1440 or 1600 instead.
              I'd go in some store and look at 4k and sub 4k models without scaling and let my eyes tell me what they actually need.
              Yep, good advice. I have a 169 PPI screen on my laptop, and I still see pixels, so I think 200 dpi would work well there. I thought I'd also appreciate 200 dpi on the desktop, and was eyeing 4k in a 21" form factor, but after seeing displays in the store, it turns out 4k at 27" is perfect for me (163 PPI). I might still go 24". It all depends on your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                That's perfectly adequate for everything except fast paced gaming and wide gamut photo/video editing. And I believe Michael has no use for either.
                higher-than-60 refresh rate does not require games, it is just better for any moving picture. and wide gamut is part of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020 which is not for video editing, but for plain old uhdtv. btw, 120 fps is also part of it

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                  pal666: 144Hz brigns variaous compromises ( price/ viewing angle, color uniformity etc)
                  vewing angle and colors have nothing to do with framerate since there are fast ips screens on the market already. and fast tn screens were always overpriced anyway. btw, "more than 60" does not imply "144"
                  At 144Hz you need more than twice that, or 5GB/s.
                  that's why i said you need more than dp 1.2
                  That's not trivial, especially if you have multimonitor setup and/or are running from APU.
                  monitor's useful life is usually much longer than videocard's. with capable monitor you could choose framerate/resolution/color depth, with incapable you can't

Comment

vewing angle and colors have nothing to do with framerate since there are fast ips screens on the market already. and fast tn screens were always overpriced anyway. btw, "more than 60" does not imply "144"
                    monitor's useful life is usually much longer than videocard's. with capable monitor you could choose framerate/resolution/color depth, with incapable you can't
                    That still depends on the user. I've replaced dead video cards twice since I first built this system in 2007 (GeForce 7600 -> GT430 -> GTX750) and both of the original 19" 1280x1024 monitors died within the last year or so, but I replaced them with similar 19" 1280x1024 monitors and the only significant change to my system was when I bought a passive DP->DVI adapter and added a third monitor.

I intentionally plan to stick to low-DPI monitors for as long as I can because I'm comfortable with them, my eyesight is already 20/20 (and only going to get worse when I get old), and I judge a monitor's appeal based on a metric which could be roughly described as "square inches per watt after filtering for acceptable response time and visual fidelity".

High DPI is for pocket devices like the DragonBox Pyra (Would have been 1080p but they managed to find a low-MOC supplier for 5" 720p LCDs) or HMDs where screen-door effects are an issue, not monitors that have 4 feet of desk and keyboard tray between me and them.

Comment

1. Ofcourse they do. Designers have to make some sort of compromise between LCD cells speed, polarization strength etc and price.
                      Just because there are some combinations that manufacturers deemed appropriate to declare as 120/144 etc Hz doesn't mean that they haven't made compromises on other fields.
                      Just because you can get Ariel Atom for €25k doesn't mean that getting yourself Tesla S or X would be a stupid purchase, since you can have way better acceleration for way less money.

2. DP is not only problem. On list of the problems, that's probably smallest one. Probme is bandwidth this is demanding from RAM, especially if you are working with APU, which has ordinary DDR3/4, which isn't particularly wide and it jhas to share it with both GPU and CPU. Especially with CPU this can hurt.

Comment

Working...
                      X