Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microcode
    replied
    This seems like a swell box to put WireGuard on for NAT bridging to [REDACTED]. Especially once we have WireGuard for OpenBSD. :—)

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by bobwya View Post
    Hmmm, expensive - but real nice PF Sense box?? Quad Gb is kinda sweet - slightly weird that are based on an Intel chipset though... Frankenstein box or what!!
    Not sure what you mean about the price, this is relatively inexpensive for an industrial rated board, especially one that comes with a nice metal enclosure. I'm actually surprised at how inexpensive it is. What sort of other industrial systems are you comparing this to, that are cheaper than this??

As for the intel Gig-E chipset, that's the defacto standard in the server world. All of our big quad-socket AMD Opteron servers from Dell have onboard intel Gig-E. Heck, even my little single-socket Supermicro workstations, also AMD Opteron based, use intel Gig-E for the onboard networking. Not sure why you'd think this is weird, other than maybe it sounds like you're more familiar with consumer grade stuff rather than more serious server or industrial grade equipments.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 03 July 2016, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Interesting to read that they may still have that header. I remember vaguely having read that the GPU part was switched off by firmware, also to keep low on the overall thermal side.
    Google searched.

it seems to be indeed switched off by firmware but it is just a "on"-"off" to place in the source and recompile Coreboot to activate it.
    A VGA BIOS may or may not be necessary. http://www.pcengines.info/forums/?pa...B05B2A&lastp=1

I suspect they kept it off as otherwise they would need better cooling. That thing gets pretty hot already.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Indeed, other "industrial" boards also go easily for twice the price than their normal counterparts (otherwise similar / same equipment). They got to use specific equipment that can withstand heat, moisture, vibrations, maybe even occasional electromagnetic fields. That, plus certifications, raise the price significantly.

Interesting to read that they may still have that header. I remember vaguely having read that the GPU part was switched off by firmware, also to keep low on the overall thermal side.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by bobwya View Post
    Hmmm, expensive
    Not that much at all, considering that it is industrial-rated board (note the temperatures), fanless and in a heavy-duty metal box. Of course most consumers don't need that, but it's not just money going to the brand.

I'm going to look more closely at this thing, it might be the upgrade we were looking for.

slightly weird that are based on an Intel chipset though
    Intel sells Ethernet pcie cards too, so it's not like it is terribly hard to integrate Intel ethernet wherever you feel like it.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 03 July 2016, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Looks a bit like a PCEngines one (Alix, APU Boards) just not being headless. Which is fine since once you build in an APU you might have the GPU out for god's sake.
    Afaik the APU boards from PC Engines have a unpopulated HDMI header, but the GPU does not work in their coreboot, only after booting the OS it will go online.

But I never tested it.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Looks a bit like a PCEngines one (Alix, APU Boards) just not being headless. Which is fine since once you build in an APU you might have the GPU out for god's sake. Even as a sheer advanced network router it could be helpful occasionally to have a non-headless design for initial setup or debugging. Could be easier sometimes than hoping for a console via RS-232 or network. And these APUs probably support ZeroCore so they don't waste much power when no screen is attached.
    Considering the rugged / industrial design, the use of more expensive NICs (intel vs. Realtek) the price take seems to be still acceptable for this class of device.

Seems the come with BIOS / UEFI instead of coreboot. Coreboot here would be really attractive.
    By the way; Lenovo just has security issues in most of their notebooks using UEFI...

Leave a comment:

• bobwya
    replied
    Hmmm, expensive - but real nice PF Sense box?? Quad Gb is kinda sweet - slightly weird that are based on an Intel chipset though... Frankenstein box or what!!

Leave a comment:

• CompuLab Comes Out With New Rugged, Fanless Linux-Friendly PC

Phoronix: CompuLab Comes Out With New Rugged, Fanless Linux-Friendly PC

The folks at CompuLab have announced their latest Linux-friendly PC, the fitlet-RM. The Fitlet-RM is described as "the smallest PC for extreme conditions" and is fanless...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X