X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    Interesting/inovative design.
    Other than that:
    No Linux support (like every other board that isn't RPi)
    No Ethernet
    No USB3.0

Are they even trying?
    Or, as Freddie Mercury would say: 'Is this the real world?'
    If there was a good USB3 on it, then the ethernet problem could be easily solved with a USB network adapter. As it stands though, USB2 will suck for ethernet.

As far as the "no linux support", ALL of the other 96boards compliant products DO support conventional desktop linux, and that is currently on THREE different SoC's;

Actions s900 w/PowerVR G6230 (it isn't clear whether it has working GL under debian),
    HiSilicon Kirin 6220 w/ARM Mali 450-MP4,
    Snapdragon 410 w/Adreno 306 (DEFINITELY working GL under debian -- uses Freedreno).

If the manufacturer of this is working with 96boards (and not just using the spec, which is fine too), then you CAN anticipate debian on it.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      barrel-type power supply and no linux support? I'll go with raspberry pi. Pity odroid C2 shipping cost is $16. If not, it can be another alternative.
      Lots of people here with incredibly poor reading comprehension. NOBODY said no linux support. What was said was "Sadly, no word on support for conventional GNU/Linux distributions." -- carefully read the three words in BOLD. If you don't understand what that means, READ IT AGAIN.

Let me explain to you exactly what it means; it means that THEY DID NOT SAY. This is very different from "NO".

Comment

This makes no sense at all. Why have 2 sets of A53 cores at different frequencies? Why not just have 1 set and down-clock it like everybody else? Seems like needless complication to me (unless all 8 of those cores can operate at the same time).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          This makes no sense at all. Why have 2 sets of A53 cores at different frequencies? Why not just have 1 set and down-clock it like everybody else? Seems like needless complication to me (unless all 8 of those cores can operate at the same time).
          Its a MEDIATEK chip, so the answer is "BECAUSE CHINA".

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
            It's even worse as their are no good free drivers for mali ( or adreno for that matter) gpu's. I would love to be able to run a regular distro on arm hardware and run wayland.
            I thought that Adreno had one of the best (Freedreno), maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Comment

no usb 3.0? No Pcie? No Sata? U fukin' serious 'bout dis?

Really, no. Not even for a modern mobile device is acceptable a usb 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                It's even worse as their are no good free drivers for mali ( or adreno for that matter) gpu's.
                freedreno is good and free

Comment

Originally posted by kiputnik View Post
                  Huh? Of course there is Linux support. What else would they run on it?
                  on some non-upstream garbage

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    As far as the "no linux support", ALL of the other 96boards compliant products DO support conventional desktop linux
                    utter bullshit, they have no such thing in spec
                    requirements quote:
                    Kernel ○ A kernel based on one of the following that is buildable from source code and any required binary blobs:
                    ■ kernel.org latest “mainline” or “stable” kernel
                    ■ The latest Google-supported Android kernel version
                    ■ One of the last two kernel.org LTS kernels (for example Linaro LSK)

see, android with blobs is enough and now guess what vendors will choose

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      utter bullshit, they have no such thing in spec
                      requirements quote:
                      Kernel ○ A kernel based on one of the following that is buildable from source code and any required binary blobs:
                      ■ kernel.org latest “mainline” or “stable” kernel
                      ■ The latest Google-supported Android kernel version
                      ■ One of the last two kernel.org LTS kernels (for example Linaro LSK)

see, android with blobs is enough and now guess what vendors will choose
                      Are you retarded or something? I didn't say that there was a required spec. I said that it is a PATTERN that has thus far held for ALL devices.

Comment

Working...
                      X