Corsair USB 3.0 Flash Voyager Drives: EXT4 vs. NTFS vs. Btrfs vs. F2FS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Hm? Just mount it with a specific umask.
    Only FAT, vFAT, exFAT support the uid, gid, umask option.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

UDF does too. I thought it was more widespread than that, hm.

Comment

And ntfs-3g.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
          NTFS is a major fubar and one of the major performance pitholes in the Windows space.
          How about exFAT for usb mass storage? All the features of normal fs:es on external storage like this is one of the last concerns for normal users.
          Don't know about the fuse exFAT state however.
          This isn't NTFS from windows, but NTFS from linux. Linux NTFS drivers are crappy because various obvious reasons. NTFS from windows is pretty good.

exFAT from linux uses the same FUSE infrastructure of NTF on linux, so it will have crap performance, and might be also as unreliable.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
            Results are really in consistent => is not mature and good enough OS, if such things still happen.
            NTFS driver results inconsistent => whole linux OS is not mature and good enough.

Logic.

Comment

Is there an in-kernel MS-friendly filesystem that runs with good performance I can use in a linux distro? I dual-boot at the moment and reserved a large storage partition for some games and scratch discing etc, and yeah, NTFS is rather slow when in linux. There's also the fun bit of having to restart in Windows if it went to sleep while in Windows otherwise the partition is marked unclean and drops to console for recovery. I believe that may well be caused by swap on that partition (hiber is actually turned off)
              Hi

Comment

Well, there is paragon ntfs driver for Linux, both paid and free versions, but I have never seen a single benchmark of it. Paragon makes high quality file system drivers for Linux/mac/windows, so I wonder why no one has ever tested it, considering that default ntfs-3g is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  Is there an in-kernel MS-friendly filesystem that runs with good performance I can use in a linux distro? I dual-boot at the moment and reserved a large storage partition for some games and scratch discing etc, and yeah, NTFS is rather slow when in linux. There's also the fun bit of having to restart in Windows if it went to sleep while in Windows otherwise the partition is marked unclean and drops to console for recovery. I believe that may well be caused by swap on that partition (hiber is actually turned off)
                  Short answer: no.

Longer answer: probably FAT32, but can also happen that you write on a FAT32 drive from linux and then Windows wil NOT RECOGNIZE THE PARTITION ANYMORE, while on linux it is still perfectly fine and readable and fs checks don't find any error.

Possible Future Answer: maybe F2FS, it was planned to have a Windows version too.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post

And ntfs-3g.
                    FUSE -.- I want native file system, now I am using exfat with native kernel driver but it is not so fast like ext4 :/.

Comment

VFAT is only an extension on top of FAT.

Comment

Working...
                      X