No announcement yet.

Corsair USB 3.0 Flash Voyager Drives: EXT4 vs. NTFS vs. Btrfs vs. F2FS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XFS is the default FS for RHEL 7, so it could be nice to see results. Also exFAT is possible to use with FUSE like NTFS, so...

Comment

Results are really in consistent => is not mature and good enough OS, if such things still happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
        Results are really in consistent => is not mature and good enough OS, if such things still happen.
        Or solid state drives are a little flakey.

Comment

Why can't we be able to hide/unhide whatever parts of the results I want to see, especially when it comes to hiding NTFS benchmarks? Perhaps split the image into different sections and code JavaScript to hide/unhide the set of images depending on whether I want to see a particular data in a benchmark. This would be useful for 21-way GPU benchmarks.

And by the way, I want vBulletin to not invade browser shortcuts, especially Ctrl+L. And fix that annoying height increase/decreasing text box while typing. It is distracting when I type.

And I think vBulletin has too much feature bloat to be classified as buggy POS.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            And by the way, I want vBulletin to not invade browser shortcuts, especially Ctrl+L
            Yes, goodness, yes. Also Right-clicking to correct spelling mistakes only brings up some copy/paste nonsense in FF.

Comment

Well, nothing new to see - while ntfs is actually the best filesystem regardless what linux fanbois says, ntfs drivers for Linux sucks huge balls and are literally broken, so your benchmark only tests how much Linux is broken. Could we get some benchmarks with real value, like ntfs file system using windows 7/8.1/10 ? Because I don't know what to think of your Linux wine -> windows 10 Ubuntu bash -> Linux wine -> windows 10 Ubuntu bash -> Linux wine -> windows 10 Ubuntu bash -> Linux wine -> windows 10 Ubuntu bash -> Linux wine -> windows 10 Ubuntu bash -> testing methodology.
              Last edited by startas; 27 April 2016, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                Also Right-clicking to correct spelling mistakes only brings up some copy/paste nonsense in FF.
                Use shift. JavaScript only intercepts clicks without modifier keys.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                  NTFS is a major fubar and one of the major performance pitholes in the Windows space.
                  How about exFAT for usb mass storage? All the features of normal fs:es on external storage like this is one of the last concerns for normal users.
                  Don't know about the fuse exFAT state however.
                  I could be wrong but I believe that exFAT is patent encumbered. In fact I think this was the main reason why F2FS was created at the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
                    All Linux file system have one problem with removable media - they is no way to disable permissions for they entire file system, this is really, really frustrating when you share one media between multiple systems with multiple users.
                    Hm? Just mount it with a specific umask.

Comment

I was about to test this very thing using ubuntu server, arch and SME Server (until I was rudely evicted from my house!). I've always thought that the most you could expect from USB is as many drives as there are controllers and that putting two sticks on the same physical 'stack' would kind of nerf your overall performance in a none to useful way and you'd be btter of spreading them across the stacks, and if you only hace 2x2, then settle for 2 sticks.

Worth testing the various configs (1, 2 and 4) anyway. I've been successfully using a single USB setup on Arch for years for my file-server. So long as I dont do stupid things like setting verbose logging without making it head to a disk somewhere, you're sweet for a year at least! The point of using hte USB was saving that last of 6 SATA ports which are so common on your acerage yum-cha board.

I'm also going to try those garbage 20 dollar 32GB SSD's from aliexpress =D I have a SATA<USB convertor so should be fun to tack up the number's on all this across various kernels, OS's and hardware.
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X