Dell XPS 15 Skylake Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post

Is it high quality? I need a new laptop for work.
    It feel really nice to the hand and the keyboard is pretty good. The Ubuntu experience that was pre-installed on the Dell machine was rather disappointing... The wifi would not work on my machine (it can connect to open networks, but not to ones that were password protected). However, once I installed Arch Linux, the WiFi worked flawlessly, however, USB C devices doesn't work on Arch (which is weird because the ethernet to USB-C cable worked fine when installing Arch Linux).

I am not sure if I am the only one affected with this issue, but I would say wait until Dell fix this issue (I don't know if this was brought up to Dell). Also just keep in mind that if you install another distro (I only tested with Ubuntu and Gnome Ubuntu), you may have problem accessing the GUI if you are using nouveau since it seems to act crazy when I try to load the GUI on Ubuntu and Gnome Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Dell has a bad habit of mounting hinges straight to plastic, how do the hinges look on that model?
      Here is how it looks like: http://imgur.com/a/zJfzF

Originally posted by dxxvi View Post
      Wish I had a valid reason to buy the Precision 5110.
      I am not sure if this would be a valid reason for you, but I was intrigued that this laptop has the support for iommu. If thunderbolt 3 get well supported in Linux, it would be a interesting experiment to do a GPU passthrough on a GPU dock.
      Last edited by CuriousTommy; 12 April 2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post

It feel really nice to the hand and the keyboard is pretty good. The Ubuntu experience that was pre-installed on the Dell machine was rather disappointing... The wifi would not work on my machine (it can connect to open networks, but not to ones that were password protected). However, once I installed Arch Linux, the WiFi worked flawlessly, however, USB C devices doesn't work on Arch (which is weird because the ethernet to USB-C cable worked fine when installing Arch Linux).

I am not sure if I am the only one affected with this issue, but I would say wait until Dell fix this issue (I don't know if this was brought up to Dell). Also just keep in mind that if you install another distro (I only tested with Ubuntu and Gnome Ubuntu), you may have problem accessing the GUI if you are using nouveau since it seems to act crazy when I try to load the GUI on Ubuntu and Gnome Ubuntu.
        I didn't have that Ubuntu on their for even two minutes I just wiped and replaced with Arch. So no USB-C here, either.

It appears that they are working with Intel to get USB-C over TB upstreamed, which makes sense.

Other than that, everything seems fine, though I haven't even tried to use the NVIDIA card.

Comment

Here is how it looks like: http://imgur.com/a/zJfzF
          Ah, cool. I like that you got both sides so I could see how it was constructed. I don't think that one will be any problem. You can clearly see a screw on both sides, which I'm sure mounts the hinges. Nice. I only asked because a few Dell models I've gotten for repair were constructed such that the hing screws mounted internally straight to plastic. When the plastic breaks all that can be done is to replace that bottom bezel.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
            I'd really prefer something without a dGPU and instead one of the new Iris Pro Mobile Chips...
            Iris would be cool but the price would be high too. There seems to be a lot of Broadwel U based laptops. When I was looking at 4K laptops Toshibar Radius 15 popped out with such dual core i7 Broadwel. The GPU is mid range, but still the laptop looks nice and is relatively thin.

As for XPS and Precision current lineup - some refurbish or returns show up on ebay for way lower prices. I wonder how safe is to get those? Those are working laptops with warranty, but the price do differ

Comment

Actually, it looks really sexy to me. Here is a link to the product page: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/pr...=xctop551015us
              yeah that does look just as good...I wonder if a Nvidia® Quadro® M1000M w/2GB GDDR5 could run some games like CS:GO and Baldur's Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post

yeah that does look just as good...I wonder if a Nvidia® Quadro® M1000M w/2GB GDDR5 could run some games like CS:GO and Baldur's Gate.
                Well SuperTuxKart was really bad when I ran the benchmark (I do, however, have a 4K display so that is probably why). Running the bumblebee option did not change anything in terms of FPS; however, I was doing that in Wayland so that may be the issue.
                Overall I did a test and the result were not great for the 4k benchmarks, but I did not really do a through beanchmark in different resolutions.

It seems decent with 1080p (The benchmarks were done in Windows, but they should be similar in Linux).
                Specifications and benchmarks of the NVIDIA Quadro M1000M graphics card for notebooks.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post

Iris would be cool but the price would be high too. There seems to be a lot of Broadwel U based laptops. When I was looking at 4K laptops Toshibar Radius 15 popped out with such dual core i7 Broadwel. The GPU is mid range, but still the laptop looks nice and is relatively thin.
                  Not really interested in Broadwell anymore since Intel released the Skylake parts.

As for XPS and Precision current lineup - some refurbish or returns show up on ebay for way lower prices. I wonder how safe is to get those? Those are working laptops with warranty, but the price do differ
                  Price isn't really the object, I just don't like paying for things I don't need (dGPU in a work laptop for example).

Comment

Anyone gotten a chance to try a eGPU, or thunderbolt 3/USB-C speeds? Attached Dell dock?

Comment

Working...
                    X