No announcement yet.

Here Is A $5 Fix To Cool Your Raspberry Pi 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bit off topic, but Michel could you use metric units in your articles ? AFAIK it is easier for Americans to convert to imperial units on the fly as you are studying metric units in school as for the rest of the world ...

Comment

Or you could just get it from dealextreme or others that have the same thing for less than half, http://www.dx.com/p/aluminum-heat-si...er-3pcs-336768

Comment

Originally posted by nocri View Post
        A little bit off topic, but Michel could you use metric units in your articles ? AFAIK it is easier for Americans to convert to imperial units on the fly as you are studying metric units in school as for the rest of the world ...
        Or put both values, 75º F (~24º C)

Comment

@Michael: Just a few thoughts about your thermal imaging:

)I think your pictures are too big. There seems to be no reason to use such "high" resolution as the effective resolution seems to be much less. In portrait mode the pictures occupy too much space for seemingly no reason.
          )Do you care about reflections and emissivity? It seems that you're possibly over-interpreting measured temperatures of reflecting surfaces such as the LAN-Port housing or other metallic surfaces (which are generally hard/impossible to measure exactly with IR-imaging).
          )Why not measure the CPU-Temp with the internal sensors? Seems way more accurate and straight-forward to me.
          )And yeah, °C would be much nicer... but that's probably just my eurocentric point of view ^^

Maybe I'm just too picky but I hope you can make use of some (hopefully) constructive feedback.

Comment

"drop the SoC temperature almost in half" would have to be counted from absolute zero (0 K, -273.15°C, -459.67°F)
            So no, the heatsink doesn't drop the temperature in half.

Comment

Comparing the temperature of the case with the temperature of some heatsink sounds like comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

And that's just a pack of crappy A53's. Imagine what you'd see if it was A57's.....

This is the reason for all the heat complaints on the new 64bit ARM chips, and why we are looking forward to the Snapdragon 820 and away from the reference designs of ARM.

Comment

That should cost 2e MAX, the chinese will deliver it to to home for 3e total.

Comment

Strangely my Raspberry Pi 3 becomes faster (at booting) and cooler if I increase the core clock (gpu) and decrease the cpu clock a little like so:
                    # For Raspberry Pi 3 arm_freq is best at 2.5 x core_freq arm_freq=1125 # To be sure warranty bit not set, over_voltage needs to be 0 over_voltage=0 # Core freq and sdram_freq are best equal and make the gpu faster core_freq=450 sdram_freq=450 # To reduce power draw spikes force_turbo needs to be 1 force_turbo=1

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Or put both values, 75º F (~24º C)
                      I think mixing metric and imperial units crashed the Mars Climate Orbiter (see Wikipedia). In fact metric is not the correct term, it is the International System of Units (SI), which consists of a (the) minimal set of base units from which all others are derived. So for instance for length there is only one unit (m), and not a multitude (inch, yard, mile). It not only makes sense to use SI for precision reasons in science, it just easier to use. And can prevent expensive mistakes like with the Orbiter.

Comment

Working...
                      X