That Exciting, Passively-Cooled Linux PC Is Arriving Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TuxInvader View Post
    They did something lke this 12 years ago ( http://www.quietpc.com/tnn500af ), but have obviously abandoned the idea.
    From that page:
    The three VGA heatpipes drain heat from the GPU at a rate of 75 watts/sec; enough to cool high end graphics cards.
    I guess someone understood Watt wrong, or what J/s^2 as a unit could mean...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      passively cooled 200 watts is a lie
      Nope. We (not AMD, previous life) were building all-in-one computers that dissipated at least that much back in the 80s with a less sophisticated design than what Compulab has. The power supply was mounted vertically in a chimney structure to the right of the CRT; logic boards were mounted horizontally in the bottom of the case. Cool air entered at the bottom, was warmed a bit by the logic boards and more by the power supply, then exited out the top making for some pretty decent airflow. The power supply drove the CRT as well, but the CRT itself was isolated with its own airflow.

We had an impromptu lab set up in my room at the Seoul Hilton, using power resistors to simulate the heat generation from logic boards & power supplies. Airflow was visualized by using the smoke from 4 or 5 incense sticks held side-by-side, watching the smoke streams flow through clear plexiglass case mockups.

We had to stop after a few days (the incense was annoying people in nearby rooms) but by then we had the design pretty solid. What made it work was an awesome subcontractor who could build complex models overnight with exactly the same cooling slots you would get from a high-volume injection mould.

Haven't been able to find any good pictures of the cooling stack... wish I had kept one of the clear plastic mockup cases. The picture above is the second generation (ICON2) with passive cooling; the first generation ICON was wedge-shaped with a fan in the base.

We were the first big customer for Quantum Software's QNX (it was Qunix at the time but eventually lawyers made them rename it).
      Last edited by bridgman; 28 February 2016, 01:08 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: That Exciting, Passively-Cooled Linux PC Is Arriving Next Week

Back in January we covered the launch of the CompuLab Airtop as one of the coolest Linux-friendly PCs ever for entusiasts. This radically designed PC is arriving next week at Phoronix for testing so we'll be able to share more about its design and performance...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Arriving-Soon
        I would like to see intel take it up a notch and try to compete with the gaming class nvidia cards (i.e. gtx 950, 960 and 970.. they don't need to go all the way for 980 or 990, just up to 970 and they'd be superb for gaming I don't like a lot of htings about nvidia, and i don't like a lot of things about amd but there are very few bad things I can say about intel, besides them being strung along like puppets on microsoft charade to prevent windows 7 and 8 machines from being compatible with skylake processors (wat?)

Oh and since Compulabs is watching this thread... What is the highest end GPU/CPU setup that this airtop case can handle? I'm sure you tested heavier GPUs than the GTX 950, how did that go? I'd also like to know what temperatures that GTX 950 is running at when it's under high stress (like benchmark or stress tests)
        Last edited by rabcor; 28 February 2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Oh and since Compulabs is watching this thread... What is the highest end GPU/CPU setup that this airtop case can handle? I'm sure you tested heavier GPUs than the GTX 950, how did that go? I'd also like to know what temperatures that GTX 950 is running at when it's under high stress (like benchmark or stress tests)
          Indeed, we often watch Phoronix...
          There are 3 parameters to balance - thermal, power and mechanical. Airtop was designed for 100W (GPU thermal + power budget) and single slot, full-height, half length (17 cm).
          GTX 950 and Quadro M4000 are the best current cards that fit these envelopes. GTX 960 could marginally work thermally but at 140W-150W we cannot guarantee reliable power.
          The thermal cooling technology is quite scalable (actually scales with volume rather than surface) so it is possible to design a passive computer with more powerful graphics, but I doubt Airtop will see an upgrade to higher power envelopes.
          We will see what the next generation of GPUs bring. It would be quite easy to incorporate a new GPU having similar envelopes.

Best regards,
          Irad Stavi, Compulab

Comment

I dont believe in this thing too much, on every picture is concept / average 3D artist render, not real picture, no real user test out.. Its just a promise and we will see.

If this concept would work, im not physicist, but i dont see a reason why there could not be "bigger model - more heatpipes, bigger heatsink, more copper" able to handle no 200W but 300W watts (= Gerfoce G960- 120W, G970 capable - 170W, G980 is too much - 220W), even with new GPU generation there would be everytime need for better that 90W GPU..

Personally im disappointed by only 2 audio jacks, its pretty stupid limitation, for a home game pc (i need 6 or 8 speakers are great + mic + audio in ) so i m not buying pc board without 6 jacks -even cheapest Realtek is able to handle them.
            Last edited by ruthan; 28 February 2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
              I dont believe in this thing too much, on every picture is concept / average 3D artist render, not real picture, no real user test out
              So it's good there are sites like Phoronix that review the actual hardware.
              Until Phoronix review comes up, you can see some actual hardware demos:
              7 displays - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9yYR9Xj1c
              A little gaming - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SesdLVhNMVI
              Some in-house Linux benchmarking - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzA4A4vzb-M

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                I can't find much use for GTX 950, just bit faster than Iris Pro Graphics 6200 found on the Intel CPU.

??? it have more than 3 times the performance

Comment

every aio pc compact pc watever is a tradeoff, what is needed is a custom compact 100% modularised PC concept with strict specs for gfxcard length and hight etc, like somewhere between yatx and itx.
                  This PC like so many others has a very very limited market, a tiny nuc would do the job aswell and proper gaming pc is just a hell of a lot faster but bigger but that is rarely a problem for a gaming system.
                  And i would not trust a company that puts out so bad renderings. I could build myself something like this but better with a little bit of rendering/3D/design/cnc/laser work!
                  Last edited by rudl; 28 February 2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

the poblem with current pcs is not that miniaturisation stopped but that we stopped to call the big old specs obsolete. Who needs something bigger than Y atx? seriosly even SLI Crossifire is a non reason. Soundcards are pretty much obsolate and wifi cards will be once more vendors integrate onboard solutions. For everything else just a single 1pci-e x1 for home computing will be more than sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

??? it have more than 3 times the performance

sure it hasn't

GTX 750: 1044 GFLOPS SP
                      Iris Pro (P)580: 1152 GFLOPS SP
                      Iris 550: 844 GFLOPS

the only thing where the nvidia one is much better is memory (GDDR5 vs DDR3/DDR4) and that only by around doubled bandwidth.

Comment

Working...
                      X