Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Talos Secure Workstation Is A High-Performance Libre System

Phoronix: The Talos Secure Workstation Is A High-Performance Libre System

Raptor Engineering is working on the Talos Secure Workstation, which is being advertised as a high-performance, open-to-the-firmware system that is much better than the commonly antiquated "freed" x86 systems. However, getting a high-performance, free software friendly workstation doesn't come cheap...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...re-Workstation

Great choice that POWER8 arch. By the way real people use x86-64 so when this fails they can reconsider cpu choice. Also im pretty sure those 3 people who actually care to buy the product will be pretty happy too.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
      By the way real people use x86-64
      real windows and other proprietary shit users

Comment

Great choice that POWER8 arch. By the way real people use x86-64 so when this fails they can reconsider cpu choice. Also im pretty sure those 3 people who actually care to buy the product will be pretty happy too.
        Well, if they want a FULLY open system I believe that their only options are POWER or SPARC, and I don't believe there are any SPARC CPUs that are appropriate for workstation use (from a heat/price/power consumption point of view).

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbird32 View Post

Well, if they want a FULLY open system I believe that their only options are POWER or SPARC, and I don't believe there are any SPARC CPUs that are appropriate for workstation use (from a heat/price/power consumption point of view).
          Sparc isn't really an option without some more enginnering as well... the only open source 64bit Sparc design is the slow Niagra T1/T2 core which isn't even superscalar... its just a basic RISC core. They'd be great companion cores in a BIG.little sparc workstation though...

Comment

I like the idea, but I have no plans to replace any of my PCs in the near future and even if I did $3,100 is too much.

Comment

That's pretty nice - I loved my old PPC G4 and G5, and the increasingly locked-down nature of Intel and AMD hardware is worrying.

Shame about the price though - I'm sure it's the best they could do, given the niche nature of the product, but that doesn't make it any more affordable.

Comment

There aren't any modern x86-64 designs that are safe to use anymore. In the name of "security" both Intel and AMD CPUs include little sub-processors that run their own secret programs.

Comment

Yeah arm looked hip&trendy a while ago but getting things working properly is a real pain and sometimes not possible within the lifetime of the product. Let's not talk about replacing hardware... Never again.
                  How is it with power8?

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on the secure part. Unless they provide a way to verify the code running on the board is the same code available for download, it's no more secure than it's cheaper (and far more capable) x86-based counterparts.

Comment

Working...
                    X