Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading To The ASUS RT-AC88U Wireless Router

Phoronix: Upgrading To The ASUS RT-AC88U Wireless Router

This past week my main router I've been using for the past three years failed on me (the ASUS RT-AC66U) so I quickly set out to replace this router with a superior model that can better suit my needs today. The router I ended up going for was the expensive ASUS RT-AC88U, but so far it's working out very well...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Router-Upgrade

Personally I would never buy a router that does not have guaranteed support for running a FOSS OS on it (mostly DD-WRT). I do have one ASUS device, but I bought it specifically because it has 8 MiB of flash and supports DD-WRT (which needs that space for advanced features).

Comment

I'm holding out for the Mikrotik hAP ac router in Jan; direct SFP ONT support with high power dual-band radios. The RB3011 would have been the choice if I didn't need 2.4GHz legacy support.

Comment

I have recently upgraded to RT-AC87U and couldn't have been happier. I use merlin-wrt firmware for it as it combines the official one with the fixes and extra features provided by merlin. Works superbly well as NAS, does my VPN with routing policies and of course provides stellar wifi coverage. it was bloody expensive though, but I believe it was worth the price.

Comment

Anyone looking for a new router should check out this project on Indiegogo.

Comment

Since I already have Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER5-POE 5 Port Router, I'm planning to get a Ubiquiti UAP AC Pro (it's much more expensive to get it in Amazon) and a 48v 60W PoE adapter to go with my EdgeRouter.

Besides, I like to keep Wi-Fi separate from my main router and I don't care for consumer routers anymore. About a year ago, I have moved my routing functionality off of my Ubuntu Server in order to keep my main network up and running at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by ileonte View Post
              Anyone looking for a new router should check out this project on Indiegogo.

Very interesting, although I wouldn't let a router do too many things at once. Automatic security updates is a plus, but I have a tendency to check them in a regular basis. As of the time of writing, I'm running 1.7, which is the latest for my ER-PoE. Another thing I like about Turris Omnia is it's open source with the exception of Wi-Fi blob. Well, nothing is completely open-source anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Personally I would never buy a router that does not have guaranteed support for running a FOSS OS on it (mostly DD-WRT).
                FOSS OS with blob wireless driver(s) like DD-WRT? I'd prefer all drivers to be open source.

Luckily RT-AC88U should be possible to support in OpenWrt, since it uses FullMAC BCM4366 devices supported by brcmfmac
                https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC88U

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
                  FOSS OS with blob wireless driver(s) like DD-WRT? I'd prefer all drivers to be open source.
                  I don't mind blob wifi drivers, because for the most part wifi is used rather sparingly on all the routers, or sometimes turned off completely. It's just not nearly as reliable as good old wires.

Comment

Originally posted by carwyn
                    If you're after an OSS router with a pre-installed OpenWRT with a lot of extras (also OSS) _and_ an SFP you should really look at this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...-router#/story
                    Read the thread before you post that link.

Comment

Working...
                    X