Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTC Vive VR Retail Launch Delayed Until April 2016

Phoronix: HTC Vive VR Retail Launch Delayed Until April 2016

While many gamers have been looking forward to the HTC Vive as the VR device developed in cooperation with Valve, there still is more time to go until the retail units ship...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, at least there is still Vulkan to look forward to. And by April Fedora 24 will almost be released with Wayland by default. So all in all the graphics stack on Linux should be much better.
    Last edited by Maxjen; 08 December 2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

We'll have better GPUs coming out around then anyway, so the timing isn't so bad.

Comment

I don't really understand what the holdup is, for either Vive or Oculus. Aside from the motion sickness problem it seem the technology is considered pretty proven and effective. Plenty of developers seem willing and/or ready to support either platform.

On another note though, I heard that HTC will still be releasing a batch of Vives before 2016 arrives, but only to a small handful of people. I'm not sure about any of the details though.

Comment

I certainly don't know what the holdup is, but motion sickness should totally be a show stopper until they figure out how to get rid of it. Otherwise ppl will get on board with the whole VR trend and just drop it quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Aside from the motion sickness problem it seem the technology is considered pretty proven and effective
            Originally posted by kmare View Post
            motion sickness should totally be a show stopper until they figure out how to get rid of it
            Motion sickness is generally considered solved. The key requirement is to keep the time between head movement and resulting screen update short, known as "motion to photon" latency, low. The tolerance varies between people but is around 20ms. Coming out of that are requirements for low persistence screens, fast and accurate tracking, low latency (rather than high throughput) graphics processing. Similarly responsive controls add a lot to immersion.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              On another note though, I heard that HTC will still be releasing a batch of Vives before 2016 arrives, but only to a small handful of people. I'm not sure about any of the details though.
              That will probably just be the second generation devkit.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                That will probably just be the second generation devkit.
                I specifically remember that they weren't devkits, but, they weren't considered the official release either. Either way I'm glad I'm not part of that group because I'd like the hardware to work the way it was intended, and a first batch is bound to encounter some issues.

Comment

Working...
                X