Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarTech 25U Open-Frame Rack Cabinet

Phoronix: StarTech 25U Open-Frame Rack Cabinet

If you are looking for an open-frame, four-post rack cabinet that's the perfect size for some home server/media equipment and doesn't run floor-to-ceiling, the StarTech.com 25U 4POSTRACK25U is a great fit. After having had great success with my 48U StarTech.com racks, I turned to the 25U rack for something smaller that can fit and look more normal outside of the server room.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't tell by the Amazon link or the photos in the review, but do the caster wheels have locking options or do you have to use the leveling posts to secure it in place?

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
      I can't tell by the Amazon link or the photos in the review, but do the caster wheels have locking options or do you have to use the leveling posts to secure it in place?
      You'd have to use the levelers to lock them as there isn't one built into the wheels. However, on none of my racks do I even bother with the levelers to lock it, etc. As long as your floors are flat, should be fine.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks Michael. I've been trying to find a good rack for my new house. This looks like a much more cost effective option than what I've been looking at.

Comment

Micheal you didn't go Bruce Jenner on us with those pink slippers did you?

By the way nice article. Do the Star Tech frames come with side panels? Side panels would clear up the visuals a lot in an office environment.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            IT'S CAITLYN AND SHE'S A BRAVE WOMAN! </trolling>

Comment

I wish rack cabinets do not have to cost that much money. Something like around $100, maybe? I'd do fine iwth a 10U rack cabinet.

Maybe a 2U Mini-ITX NAS Server
              1U 16-Port Network Switch
              1U Surge Protector
              3U drawer to put cables and tools away
              1U for some space to put a cable modem and HDHomeRun

...and that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                Wife assembles the racks.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

More wife pics for Phoronix premium subscribers!

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                    I wish rack cabinets do not have to cost that much money. Something like around $100, maybe? I'd do fine iwth a 10U rack cabinet.
                    For your modest needs a LackRack would probably suffice. It has 9U of space.

Last year I used 4 Lack tables to build a triple-stack-lack-rack. Total cost was about ?35 after adding in coasters, screws, and L-shaped jointing plates.

It houses 2x 4u servers, a 1u switch, 1u surge protected power splitter, HP Laserjet 4300, a TP-Link router screwed into the side, with a HP N40L microserver on the top.

It's a cheap and flimsy solution but it's held up for the last year and i needed something with a shallow depth to fit in the available space (the Lack is 550mm deep. My 4u servers are 480mm deep). When it comes time to replace i'll probably replicate the design in solid wood with actual rack strips.

Comment

Working...
                    X