Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Linux Driver Is In Development For The Corsair Vengeance K90

Phoronix: A Linux Driver Is In Development For The Corsair Vengeance K90

The Corsair Vengeance K90 is a gaming keyboard featuring Cherry MX Red mechanical key switches and a whole lot of other extra functionality suited for gamers and tailored for MMO and RTS titles. A open-source Linux driver is in the works for properly handling this high-end keyboard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I doubt the situation will change as a result of Steam Machines. Steam Machines are all about living-room gaming with Valve's Steam Controller, which has keyboard and mouse input emulation built-in. Dedicated Keyboard and Mice, while supported, are not optimal for the purpose of living-room gaming. Futhermore, SteamOS rides on the 3.18 LTS kernel. Any new drivers from upstream would have to be cherry picked by Valve's team (or advanced users) and merged into the older SteamOS kernel.

Comment

I hope someone has can answer me in here. I wonder what silent and cheap mechanical keyboard I should get for development and usable in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by mmrezaie View Post
        I hope someone has can answer me in here. I wonder what silent and cheap mechanical keyboard I should get for development and usable in Linux.
        "silent and cheap mechanical keyboard"

Those words just don't go together :P

I personally have a DasKeyboard 4 Pro with MX brown switches and LOVE it. It's simple, beautifully crafted and has very tasteful (IMO) media controls. No drivers means it works everywhere and never gives any trouble. If back lighting was a feature you were looking for you won't find it on a DasKeyboard though. I picked mine up for $120(USD) refurbished and they normally go for $170(USD).

What I have heard of people doing to quiet them down if you need to is placing rubber bands for braces(like for your teeth) between the switch and key cap. I'm a fan of the sound though.. "once you go clack, you won't go back"

Comment

Originally posted by EKRboi View Post

"silent and cheap mechanical keyboard"

Those words just don't go together :P

I personally have a DasKeyboard 4 Pro with MX brown switches and LOVE it. It's simple, beautifully crafted and has very tasteful (IMO) media controls. No drivers means it works everywhere and never gives any trouble. If back lighting was a feature you were looking for you won't find it on a DasKeyboard though. I picked mine up for $120(USD) refurbished and they normally go for $170(USD).

What I have heard of people doing to quiet them down if you need to is placing rubber bands for braces(like for your teeth) between the switch and key cap. I'm a fan of the sound though.. "once you go clack, you won't go back"
          I love the mechanical KB's of yesteryear. They make it easier when you're punching away in the dark =P Curiously, could you apply some graphite powder to the underside of the mechanism to queiten it down a bit? ...I probably should try that on my old PS/2 board, eh =D
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

I love the mechanical KB's of yesteryear. They make it easier when you're punching away in the dark =P Curiously, could you apply some graphite powder to the underside of the mechanism to queiten it down a bit? ...I probably should try that on my old PS/2 board, eh =D
            Yep, the feedback provided by the audible sound mixed with the slight "touch bump" of mechanical keys defintely make it easier when typing/playing games in the dark.

I don't think graphite would work though. It's not a lubrication "problem". The sound comes from the keys hitting the switch/the switch bottoming out. The reason the rubber bands work is because it keeps the key cap from hitting the switch and also keeps the switch from bottoming out(the switch "activates" long before that).

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Depends on the source of the sound. For things like the Cherry MX Brown, the sound comes from the keys bottoming out (hence the rubber O-rings). For things meant to be clicky like the Cherry MX Blue, there's a click you can't silence built into the actuation mechanism.

However, for people who think the IBM Model M is too loud, I've heard there's a method for quieting it without silencing it involving dental floss.

Comment

As for more info, tips, and suggestions, I always recommend these URLS:

http://www.overclock.net/computer-pe...ml#post6009418
                https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK...i/buying_guide

The first one goes into great detail (eg. photos, diagrams, specs, etc.) on all of the different details which go into choosing and maintaining a good mechanical keyboard (key matrix design, response rates, interface pros/cons, switch types, switch type, keycap shape, keycap material, keycap printing method, actuation force, hysteresis curve, maintenance, etc.) while the second seems to be more up-to-date on where to actually buy things and what to get for a given budget.

(Note: This is a continuation of a post that got dumped into the moderation queue)

Comment

I don't see why graphite wouldn't help with the sound from bottoming out...seems like a lot of the sound is just from the actuation of the switches, though. At least with my CM QuickFire Rapid TK (brown switches) the keys are already kind of loud (but not unbearable). The bottoming out does increase the volume a good bit, though.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: A Linux Driver Is In Development For The Corsair Vengeance K90

To date one of the few peripheral vendors backing good Linux support is Roccat...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-Linux-Driver
                    Wasn't the Roccat driver actually reverse engineered, also?

Comment

Working...
                    X