Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoid the Samsung Portable SSD "T1" like it's the black plague...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid the Samsung Portable SSD "T1" like it's the black plague...

It's more than a bit disappointing to be writing this. Samsung's sponsoring quite a bit of things in the Linux community. To have this be the case...well...I'll tell you what the deal is and let you all decide.

I bought one of the 1TB models to help lighten up my backpack and to help with "trying to get back in the saddle again" with the things I've done in the not TOO distant past on the Linux games and other fronts like it. Heh...to my dismay...the thing exposes a 128Mib USB "Floppy" partition and has to be "provisioned" with a custom piece of driver and software and is not guaranteed to work with everything even AFTER you "provision" it. Part of the problem is that they have security hardware to "secure" the drive that you need drivers for to turn on the actual full SSD. No Linux support there. PERIOD. I'm taking it back and getting either an mSATA drive and a mSATA to USB3 micro enclosure, or getting a slightly larger SATA unit and a 2.5" USB 3 enclosure. Not exactly what I'd call acceptable from them, to be blunt. If I wanted to "secure" the drive's contents, I would've used an encrypting filesystem on the blasted thing or encrypted files on the thing.
Working...
X