Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Rolls Out OnHub Router, Powered By Gentoo Linux

Phoronix: Google Rolls Out OnHub Router, Powered By Gentoo Linux

For those that didn't hear yet, Google announced another hardware product today -- a WiFi router called the OnHub...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-OnHub-Router

No AC? Disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
      No AC? Disappointing.
      On googles product page is says
      5 GHz wireless 802.11a/n/ac 3x3 with smart antenna

Comment

Interesting to me that Google seems to prefer Gentoo over Arch, or Ubuntu for a lot of their products (ChromeOS is Gentoo as well). I wonder if its for the rolling release, or if there's a different reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Interesting to me that Google seems to prefer Gentoo over Arch, or Ubuntu for a lot of their products (ChromeOS is Gentoo as well). I wonder if its for the rolling release, or if there's a different reason.
          gentoo is american and stable

Comment

Have we ever had any serious device with binary package based distribution? It is too unflexible.
            And using Ubuntu for such purposes is just a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
              Have we ever had any serious device with binary package based distribution? It is too unflexible.
              And using Ubuntu for such purposes is just a joke.
              I only brought up Ubuntu because Google made their own internal Ubuntu-based distro

Comment

Why not OpenWRT, which is actually tuned to be a router OS?

Comment

With Gentoo you can (and usually do) customize the installation to only work on that hardware only. Makes it more responsive and faster than binary based distrobutions.

Comment

I think the ChromeOS team helped create this product, so that probably explains it.

Comment

Working...
                    X