Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Less-Powerful Intel Compute Stick With Ubuntu Will Soon Ship

Phoronix: The Less-Powerful Intel Compute Stick With Ubuntu Will Soon Ship

Canonical confirmed today that the Intel Compute Stick preloaded with Ubuntu will go on sale next week at $110...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's the stupid netbook strategy all over again. Cripple the non-windows unit and blame linux for being poor.

Comment

It will make a fine graphical X terminal. Anyone want to write a script that will strip away all of the unnecessary software and processes which are not needed for this device to be used as a graphical X terminal? I've got $200 for anyone who will do this.

Comment

Why get this when the Archos Windows 10 stick will cost $99 and have the same specs of the $150 Intel stick?

Comment

Originally posted by blau
          1GB ram, that's outrageous. The main reason I won't consider a Pi2 is its puny 2GB RAM. And the Pi2 is only $35.

Most modern low end android phones have over 2GB RAM.
          show me one. AFAIK only few high end phones have more than 2 GB RAM

Comment

just buy win version and install linux then.

Comment

Uncompetitive pricing, even with Linux. Chinese dongles are hardly exceeding $50 these days while they have more or less comparable resources. And recently "Intel Inside" only means secure boot vendor lock shit, horrible and bugged proprietary UEFI crap, etc.

And those who are not happy with 1-2Gb - go buy some PC? You can easily get 8 64-bit cores, 128Gb RAM and terabyte-sized SSD. But of course it would be larger, more power hungry, it would take a decent power supply and would cost you a bit more than mere $35. Because there is no silver bullet. And cheap devices are needed for IoT, automation and somesuch. It is really wrong idea to pay $100 for mere automation controller, yet you may want some decent networking and some computer-alike abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtch View Post
                It will make a fine graphical X terminal. Anyone want to write a script that will strip away all of the unnecessary software and processes which are not needed for this device to be used as a graphical X terminal? I've got $200 for anyone who will do this.
                I guess you can just install Ubuntu Core on it.

Then you can apt-get any additional packages you may want.

Comment

Very interesting, as the Intel has advantages over ARM for softwares and games.
                  For video, music and server stuff 1GB is good, but it is not even possible to really surf with Firefox...

The problem with buying the Win version is that we keep the "Windows sells better, Linux sucks" song over and over so nothing changes, like we do with laptops.

Resellers / statistics only see that we buy a Windows machine, nobody knows we install *nix after

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                    Resellers / statistics only see that we buy a Windows machine, nobody knows we install *nix after
                    NSA does

Comment

Working...
                    X