No announcement yet.

Linux 4.2 Will Tweak The CFQ Scheduler For SSDs To Offer Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be nice to see comparisons with deadline. That's what I've been using so far based on Michael's benchmarking.

Comment

Originally posted by roberth View Post

Code:
      [COLOR=#000000][roberth@Desktop ~]$ sudo echo "0" > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/slice_idle[/COLOR]
      An error occurred while redirecting file '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/slice_idle' open: Permission denied
      EDIT: Okay maybe not use sudo for that. But how do I make it an udev rule so it gets renable on restarts?
      the trick is to do something like this
      Code:
      $ echo 0 > sudo tee /file/somewhere/that/only/root/can/write/to
      because `sudo echo 0 > file` will run echo as root but that stdout redirection part is ran by your shell that is still running as your user

Comment

I use CFQ for mechanical drives and deadline for SSDs right now. I also use deadline for XFS even for mechanical drives since that's what the XFS wiki recommended.

Comment

Why not just the deadline or noop scheduler?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Why not just the deadline or noop scheduler?
            'cuz its cloud
            cloud needs cgroups IO limiting that needs CFQ

Comment

But how do I make it an udev rule so it gets renable on restarts?
              /etc/udev/rules.d/40-ssd.rules:
              Code:
              [COLOR=#222222][FONT=verdana]ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0", ATTR{queue/iosched/[/FONT][/COLOR]slice_idle[COLOR=#222222][FONT=verdana]}="0"[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Code:
                [COLOR=#000000][roberth@Desktop ~]$ sudo echo "0" > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/slice_idle[/COLOR]
                An error occurred while redirecting file '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/slice_idle' open: Permission denied
                EDIT: Okay maybe not use sudo for that. But how do I make it an udev rule so it gets renable on restarts?

Use /etc/tmpfiles.d/ instead of udev. I'm assuming you're using a systemd based distro.

Comment

Is this option available and ready to use in 3.16?

For ssd's, deadline io scheduler seemed to always give better performance, I think that kernel option (grub commandline) is 'elevator=deadline' or alternatively one can disable io scheduler completely by 'elevator=noop'. While CFQ can make sense in heavily multi-tasked io (or on hdds), most workloads on ssd's don't really make too much use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeroepoch View Post
                    It would be nice to see comparisons with deadline. That's what I've been using so far based on Michael's benchmarking.
                    It'd also be interesting to see if CFQ has reached parity with BFQ yet. BFQ was significantly better than CFQ (and even deadline) last time it was benchmarked, but it was never mainlined. (Despite this, Sabayon has it as their default scheduler.) That was a while ago though (3.14), so it's possible CFQ has caught up.

Comment

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post
                      It'd also be interesting to see if CFQ has reached parity with BFQ yet. BFQ was significantly better than CFQ (and even deadline) last time it was benchmarked, but it was never mainlined. (Despite this, Sabayon has it as their default scheduler.) That was a while ago though (3.14), so it's possible CFQ has caught up.
                      Why hasn't it been mainlined, anyway... And this change is about throughput, it won't help latency, which is what BFQ does.

Comment

Working...
                      X