Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Warm Does The Intel Compute Stick Get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Warm Does The Intel Compute Stick Get?

Phoronix: How Warm Does The Intel Compute Stick Get?

The Intel Compute Stick packs a lot into a tiny package: 2GB of DDR3L memory, 32GB eMMC storage, Intel Atom Z3735F quad-core processor with Intel HD Graphics, Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11n WiFi, USB 2.0, and a microSD card slot... All into a 103 x 37 x 12 mm package, but how warm does it get under full load? Here's some numbers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

would like to see a 4gb model with linux and less than $200

I also want to see the meegopad T02 preinstalled with linux, which is the closest competitor

Comment

did you touch the hot dongle ?

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post

I also want to see the meegopad T02 preinstalled with linux, which is the closest competitor
        With 4GB RAM that would be a great thing to handle hi-def video with. Maybe down the road a speedier CPU as well then you got a sweet little computer that's as powerful as a desktop that you plug into the TV. If this reaches a good price point I'd buy this gadget

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

With 4GB RAM that would be a great thing to handle hi-def video with. Maybe down the road a speedier CPU as well then you got a sweet little computer that's as powerful as a desktop that you plug into the TV. If this reaches a good price point I'd buy this gadget
          Maybe I'm a bit ignorant but how is huge amount of RAM relevant at all wrt video playback? For example rips of 1080p h.264 content are often < 4 GB in total. Ultra high quality episodes of tv series are like 16 Mbps. They would fit completely in 4GB RAM. I thought the whole point is streaming. The problem is, unless you're buffering the whole file, you'll need to stream at some point anyways. And you'd probably only want to preload the whole episode if your bandwidth is less than 16 Mbps. So buffering would take 30 minutes. Seems crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post

Not possible on that CPU, the max is 2GB. Processor is pretty good, been playing with the RAZR-PC this week, same specs. Could not install Linux, but Windows 8.1 ran everything fine, 1080p video without any issues. I updated to Windows 10, everything lags now, but that's "likely" a software issue. Just wish I could get rid of that garbage and just have Debian, but the BIOS on my device is rather unfriendly. It sees the UEFI drive, but refuses to boot it.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Maybe I'm a bit ignorant but how is huge amount of RAM relevant at all wrt video playback? For example rips of 1080p h.264 content are often < 4 GB in total. Ultra high quality episodes of tv series are like 16 Mbps. They would fit completely in 4GB RAM. I thought the whole point is streaming. The problem is, unless you're buffering the whole file, you'll need to stream at some point anyways. And you'd probably only want to preload the whole episode if your bandwidth is less than 16 Mbps. So buffering would take 30 minutes. Seems crazy.
              He might have been talking about video processing, like ffmpeg.

Comment

BTW, The Compute Stick is NOT passively cooled. It has a small fan inside. Michael should revise the article where it claims it's passively cooled.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
                  BTW, The Compute Stick is NOT passively cooled. It has a small fan inside. Michael should revise the article where it claims it's passively cooled.
                  Thanks for correction... to me It is huge fan considering size of the package

Wondering how temps goes without fan and without that plastic
                  Last edited by dungeon; 02 June 2015, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X