Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noctua NH-U12DX i4 + NF-F12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Noctua NH-U12DX i4 + NF-F12

    Phoronix: Noctua NH-U12DX i4 + NF-F12

    With the basement conversion into a big Linux server room where there's 50~60 systems running daily at full load while running our many open-source benchmarks, cooling has been a challenge with now experiencing summer temperatures. I've already resorted to retro-fitting in extra powered ventilation ducts to keep pushing fresh air into the server room. That did some help, but also of aid is upgrading the cooling systems on some of the more powerful systems rather than using the stock heatsinks and fans. For helping out the cooling situation, Noctua sent out a while ago the NH-U12DX i4 and NF-F12.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21706

  • #2
    When you reviewed the cheap rackmount cases you were using, quite a few people pointed out that ventilation and cooling was going to be a major issue. Has your opinion on this changed much? It seems like you're now paying a lot more for heatsinks/fans than you may have saved on the cheap cases.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, it doesn't get any more "real world" then what you are using it for. No before and after temps, no ambient temps, no air CFM measures, no audible sound measures.... It's not a review.....

      Ideal conditions don't matter, only actual conditions do. This was a great chance to review something in actual conditions. It seems like a missed opportunity.

      Comment


      • #4
        I expect your basement to get even hotter. With more efficient heatsinks more heat will be dissipated into the room.

        Comment


        • #5
          **drooling**

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
            With more efficient heatsinks more heat will be dissipated into the room.
            Still the same amount of heat being output per each CPU, GPU, etc. The heat output doesn't suddenly increase just because you put a better fan on the machine. It will increase, however, if the components were being thermally throttled and now can run at a faster speed, or are now overclocked because of the extra thermal headroom.

            Comment


            • #7
              Real man cool their suff with a Adiabatic water cooling heat recover system.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation

              The water is putting in the system were the old and hot heat goes into the surface heat exchanger
              and the new fresh Air comes in with the result of a 15C cooler Air.

              With this system of a Adiabatic Water cooling heat recovery system you can cool-down """unlimited""" power with nearly ZERO energy.
              Last edited by Qaridarium; 05-24-2015, 12:36 PM.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kushan View Post
                When you reviewed the cheap rackmount cases you were using, quite a few people pointed out that ventilation and cooling was going to be a major issue. Has your opinion on this changed much? It seems like you're now paying a lot more for heatsinks/fans than you may have saved on the cheap cases.
                I still prefer the cheaper cases (for cost reasons) and have bought more since... I haven't run into any issues with the systems outright failing due to heat but it's a matter of the ambient room temperature with so many systems running, etc.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Well, it doesn't get any more "real world" then what you are using it for. No before and after temps, no ambient temps, no air CFM measures, no audible sound measures.... It's not a review.....

                  Ideal conditions don't matter, only actual conditions do. This was a great chance to review something in actual conditions. It seems like a missed opportunity.
                  As mentioned in the article, there weren't before/after temps because depending upon time of day, etc, the conditions vary a lot -- the daily system temp in server room ranges from 18C to 27C. I don't have any equipment for measuring CFM or noise level. This was basically an article expressing some products and a brand I've had good experience with.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michael View Post

                    As mentioned in the article, there weren't before/after temps because depending upon time of day, etc, the conditions vary a lot -- the daily system temp in server room ranges from 18C to 27C. I don't have any equipment for measuring CFM or noise level. This was basically an article expressing some products and a brand I've had good experience with.
                    You've got your racks sitting right up against walls on every side. They should be in the center of the room with AC vents above them.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X