Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosewill RSV-L4000: A Nice, Sub-$100 EATX Server Chassis

Phoronix: Rosewill RSV-L4000: A Nice, Sub-$100 EATX Server Chassis

With the transformation of a basement into a large Linux server room (50+ computers), I previously wrote about the sub-$50 4U ATX server case and 2U micro-ATX server case commonly used for housing the many Linux systems in this lab running continuous performance benchmarks. For the EATX systems, here's the server chassis I've gone with and experienced great results out of this EATX/SSI rackmount chassis that can be found online for as little as $80 USD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm...water-cooled rack-mount htpc/game-machine, anyone?

Comment

Hey Michael... what motherboard do you have installed in the case on that last picture in the article?

Comment

Originally posted by Dopefish View Post
        Hey Michael... what motherboard do you have installed in the case on that last picture in the article?
        some old Tyan one, don't recall the model number offhand but could be found from old Phoronix articles.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It would be interesting to see a report / test of cases as a way to demonstrate cooling capacity, efficiency and noise. Even a test of noise production would be nice.

I realize objective testing of cases might be difficult. I would imagine the number one issue would be finding a way to run the fans at 100% if any of them are variable. Even things like cards installed would impact noise. Even for cooling capacity an objective test without a fixed heat source would be difficult.

Comment

Nice to see a review of these; I've always been curious about them.

It looks as if the bays at the front are fundamentally 9x5.25" oriented vertically, with the 3x horizontal 5.25" bays, I/O panel, and internal 3.5" cages inserted into that space. Does it appear to be possible to unscrew the cages shipped with the case and use the 5.25" bays "natively," or are they welded in place?

Comment

Michael, how have you found the Corsair CX500 power supplies? I've spotted them in several different photos now. I think the CX is supposed to be the cheapo bottom dollar model, intended for light computing and casual desktop use. I would not have thought to pair them with a dual-socket motherboard and heavy benchmark loads. That's impressive if they've been reliable and trouble free in this usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dopefish View Post
                FYI, the model number is on the board (next to the first two pci(?) slots). It's a Tyan S2915.

Comment

Anyone know where to currently get it in Europe? Shipping from US is a bit expensive.

Comment

Working...
                  X