Sound performance: Onboard vs. Discrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound performance: Onboard vs. Discrete

That just doesn't seem right. Maybe I did something wrong. I have always had my doubts about sound in Linux, and this confuses me even more. Does this mean there is nearly no benefit (other than perhaps better sound) running a discrete sound card over onboard? Maybe it's the card I'm using that just sucks (Audigy2 Value)? Someone please enlighten me.

Those are very real results. The greatest difference nowdays between onboard and discreet audio is more of audio quality then it is about performance. APU's make next to no difference in frame rates on modern hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...901-15426-8064

That just doesn't seem right. Maybe I did something wrong. I have always had my doubts about sound in Linux, and this confuses me even more. Does this mean there is nearly no benefit (other than perhaps better sound) running a discrete sound card over onboard? Maybe it's the card I'm using that just sucks (Audigy2 Value)? Someone please enlighten me.
      Unless you want DSP effects and whatnot, no, there's usually no performance advantage when using a discrete card. Both the discrete
      and integrated parts to the same thing: DMA data from/to memory to/from
      an DAC/ADCs. The onboard solutions usually have crappier analog filters,
      but that's about it.

Comment

I'm not buying it.

I have an Audigy 2ZS and when I put it in my older computer, the sound was louder, crisper and it solved an issue that the onboard had. I also had more settings in my KMix Equalizer settings. I think a discrete card is way more advantageous. I need to put the card in my new computer soon. The onboard sound for the DS3R (and I assume similar mobos with that particular sound chipset) is decent but I want to see if I can enhance the sound a bit more.

Comment

That's it; the only thing you're really noticing is overall sound quality. The only other use for a discrete board besides that is the extra connections high end cards have.

Comment

Highend cards are pretty useless since Vista, because they are restricted by the driver modell - that's why Creative needed to provide workarounds for older games. The current HDA standard is better than AC97 and discreate cards have got no higher specs on paper. Maybe there are differences in analog signal quality, but when you would use SPDIF instead then it would be absolutely impossible to hear a difference.

Comment

Working...
            X