Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody knows if the Dual Shock 3 or the PS3 Sisaxis works in Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody knows if the Dual Shock 3 or the PS3 Sisaxis works in Linux?

Hi,

I'm in the process to buy a new gamepad, and I'd like to know if anybody has tried the new dual shock 3 in Linux, or at least the PS3's sisaxis.

Does it work well (digital input, analog & rumble)?

I couldn't find any information on google, I just know that it works in Windows with the appropriate drivers.

Since people have PS3 and use them in Linux, could you please try it in a recent Linux distribution (or at least with a recent kernel)?

Thanks

Why not try it yourself? Xbox pads work fine, just Y axis is reversed so you need jscal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Why not try it yourself? Xbox pads work fine, just Y axis is reversed so you need jscal.
      I'm in the process to buy a new gamepad, and I'd like to know if anybody has tried the new dual shock 3 in Linux, or at least the PS3's sisaxis.
      I'd rather know if it works before buying the thing

And that's really the official DS3 that I'd like to get. I find the official Sony pads really robust, compared to any official other brand ones (and up to know all PC gamepad I tried are sub-par).

Comment

Best go to a friend take a live cd with you or just rent a pad if you are unsure.

Comment

We don't rent pads nor games here (I'm not in the US) and with its current PS3 price, it'll be a while till any of my friends get one!

Anyway, thanks. Since some people here have the PS3 and also put Linux on it, I was just thinking it would be nice if they could provide their experience here.

Comment

This page is a bit old; maybe some of this stuff is integrated into official releases now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
              http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html

This page is a bit old; maybe some of this stuff is integrated into official releases now.
              Thanks. Apparently plugged in an USB port I shouldn't have any problems at all - that's what I wanted to know.

If somebody here has already done it though, it would still be nice to know from first-hand experience

Comment

I finally got the pad, and it works without any configuration in Linux (Ubuntu 8.04, didn't test elsewhere). Just plug it in USB, press the central round Playstation button in the middle to start the pad, and you can use it (tried with Trackmania and nullDC both in wine).

Linux games have more problems (tested Frozen Bubble), but they also have more problems with pads in general - one needs to manually edit the configuration files for the game, because the in game configuration reports to or more key presses when you press one button on the pad (i.e. when you press up on the pad, it's going to assign the input for another direction too). I think it's an Ubuntu problem that appeared in Gutsy, it wasn't there before.

Comment

I have a PS3 and several sixaxis controllers, im using them to play emulators like N64, PSX etc on my computers, using a USB cable but also using bluetooth in linux. It works perfect. The issue you're having with the button assignment has to do with the joystick driver. Its the sixaxis gyro features reporting movements. It doesnt work in the joystick driver, so it just reports weird values at irregular intervals.

On this page: http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html there are some examples on how to use the sixaxis directly, without the joystick driver, so that the gyro can be read.

One solution to that problem would be to write a special sixaxis driver i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
                    I finally got the pad, and it works without any configuration in Linux (Ubuntu 8.04, didn't test elsewhere). Just plug it in USB, press the central round Playstation button in the middle to start the pad, and you can use it (tried with Trackmania and nullDC both in wine).
                    Seeing as the non-dual shock version is hard to come by I was wondering if you (or anybody else?) have tried the DS3 with Bluetooth? Bluetooth functionality really is the deal breaker for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X