Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frejen View Post
    Hi,

Just one final question before i purchase. I am quite into green things, some people laugh and some people cheer. I like to make decisions that is environmentally friendly. Many manufacturers have start to make green products and i would like to encourage that.

Therefore i would like to know if anyone know if ASUS has any green mobo, like the Gigabyte one reviewed on Phoronix.com (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...es_green&num=1)

Currently iam into this PSU "be quiet! Dark Power Pro First Class 450W". But i do not know if it is really green, but it is stable and low watt. At least compared to what my friends put in their machines.

Frej
    I don't know of any ASUS "green" motherboards but there may be some out there. For the PSU go for one that is 80 PLUS certified and you'll have a fairly green PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      I don't know of any ASUS "green" motherboards but there may be some out there. For the PSU go for one that is 80 PLUS certified and you'll have a fairly green PSU.
      Thank you! The one iam going for is 80 PLUS Cert. http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net...php?StoryID=55

According to a review of different PSU's i read recently they claimed that 450-550W is sufficient for most desktops today. Do you think they are correct? As i mentioned before most people i know buy much stronger PSUs. Is 450W sufficient today? Which are the most demanding components?

Comment

Thank you! The one iam going for is 80 PLUS Cert. http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net...php?StoryID=55

According to a review of different PSU's i read recently they claimed that 450-550W is sufficient for most desktops today. Do you think they are correct? As i mentioned before most people i know buy much stronger PSUs. Is 450W sufficient today? Which are the most demanding components?
        Never heard of be-quiet but as long as there are good reviews from credible sites it should be fine. As for the power requirement 450W PSU will cover normal setups and only starts to fall short when you use an OC'd quad core with something like a 8800GTX or 9800GX2 so you should be fine.

Comment

Be-Quiet is a well known PSU producer over here in Germany. They are among the best (regarding quality and noise level). You should be really fine with the 450W version. In some gaming mag they were running a sli machine with two 7800GTX and an overclocked core 2 "don't know what" (might have been a quad). This setup was run with a good 350W PSU and working rock solid so you should be perfectly fine with the 450W version. Though the really cheap (and thus low quality) PSU made the machine basically die shortly after the start. But with BeQuiet you should be perfectly fine.

Comment

One problem with old PSU is always that you have too few connectors for new hardware. Like you miss the PCI-E connectors (now you even need 8 pin ones too) and when you have got lots of SATA drives then you need more power connectors. I even had to use an adapter for my SATA DVD burner, just because my 3 hds are too far away from it (big tower). I think they really should add more SATA connectors for current PSU (mine had only 2x2).

Comment

The two main usages for the computer will be gaming and computer virtualization, gaming for leisure and virtualization for work.
              For virtualization, don't forget that low-end CPU usually don't have the virtualization extensions - VMWare should be ok without, but if you're into kvm (open source, and usually included by default by the distributions) you'll need them for good performance.

On the AMD side, I think everything above a Sempron is safe (but I'm no expert and you'll have to check).

On the Intel side, the 6XXX, 8XXX (dual core, the future 8XXX quad core won't have them) and 9XXX have virtualization extensions. Avoid the Celerons, 2XXX, 4XXX and 7XXX.

Phenom is a good choice if you want to support AMD. They require more power than their Intel counterparts though (and Intel is also good towards open source). The processor prices won't really differ for the same performance (unless you want virtualization instructions on sub 100$ processor), Intel will have lower power requirement (just compare real power usage, not TDP), AMD on the other hand has really good sub-100$ motherboards (similar Intel-based motherboards are more expensive), so both choices can be great depending on your usage.

AMD and Intel gains in 64 bit mode are about the same (a bit more than 10% on average, something like 12-15% on common applications, at least in Linux).
              Last edited by miles; 30 June 2008, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Bumping the thread for a new question. Due to various reasons i had to wait anyway. Now some new hardware is popping up in the stores iam watching. Today i noticed new motherboards, mobos with South Bridge 750 is mentioned on page 1. I have not seen any mobos with sb750 yet but among the new ones today i noticed: ASUS M3A78 PRO
                Chipset
                • AMD 780G/SB700

Anything to get excited about or is it just wait for sb750?

Comment

If you haven't bought anything yet, then this is what you probably want:

I'll get one of those, too, when the Phenom 45nm launches

Comment

Working...
                  X