Sound Card Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Card Recommendations

I'm looking for sound card recommendations to replace my integrated ac97 set up. I mostly will use it for music, with an occasional smatter of games and movies. Sound quality is mostly what I'm looking for, but I need support for at least 5.1 speakers and a digital out. I don't think I need to say this but ALSA support is a must.

Currently I'm eyeing the m-audio 7.1 revolution. If anyone has info or advice (pertaining to this card or otherwise) it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Earlier this year at Phoronix we performed a small ALSA Linux sound-card round-up @ http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=6010 In the article we looked at Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS, Creative Labs Audigy 2, Chaintech AV-710, and the Aureal Vortex.

Unfortunately, Creative Lab's won't ne providing Linux support for their new X-Fi chips till at least the middle of next year -- and even at that time they will be binary-only drivers. At last update, the ALSA developers weren't too far with their support for the X-Fi APUs, but hopefully they will gain some momentum soon. Under Windows, the Creative X-Fi is supposed to be phenomenal.

Personally what I use in my main system and a few other production machines are Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy line-up. The sound quality and overall support under Linux is terrific. The Chaintech AV-710 is another cheap popular alternative.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ah, thanks a lot. I don't know how I missed that article.

Comment

Speaking of Creative, are there any news of the progress of their Linux drivers? I'm just happy that Creative bothered to develop support for Linux.

Comment

Any and all of Creative's Linux updates should be at http://opensource.creative.com/
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

"The Chaintech AV-710 is another cheap popular alternative."

Quote for truth. I absolutely love mine.

Comment

The m-audio 7.1 uses the Envy24HT chip like the Chaintech. Supposedly it has slightly better quality though due to the use of different DACs (among other things perhaps). It's a fair bit more expensive though.

At this point I'm either going with the m-audio or the Audigy 2 ZS.

Comment

Update on soundcard:

I got the m-audio card, largely due to reviews saying it produced higher quality sound for music and movies. It took several hours of me beating alsa over the head, but I managed to get it set up exactly how I want it: 2 channels cloned to 5 for regular stereo playback, 5.1 channels on a non-DD/DTS surround source, and digital pass-through on DD/DTS sources.

The sound quality is terrific, coming from ac97 sound at the least. I had my doubts before actually hearing it, but was very surprised at how subjectively better the quality is (objective tests and specs aside).

I can't say I can hear any palpable differences compared to the Chaintech card (on different speakers several hours earlier, so not a good comparison), but I got the m-audio at a good price and am very satisfied.
                Last edited by James; 23 June 2006, 02:29 PM.

Comment

James, what kind of speakers are you using to not hear the difference between a Revolution and AC97? Get yourself some Klipsches or Swans!

For anyone passing by this thread later on, I'll give a thumbs up to the Diamond XS71 for pretty decent sound and flawless ALSA compatability. I used to pimp out my M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, but then I started having serious issues with dmix. It's still excellent for an HTPC, though, as long as you don't want a direct connection to your optical drive.

I've had no end of trouble with the Revolution 5.1, apparently it uses some different I2C interconnects from the Revolution 7.1, or something. I had heard recent revisions of the 7.1 were having issues as well, so maybe the entire mess has been straightened out on the ALSA side.

I recently got word from Auzentech that their Xmystique and Xplosion are working well with Alsa now, though hardware DDL and DTS are non-functional thanks to Dolby's proprietary nature. You can still send a DDL or DTS signal, however, and the Xplosion will pass it on just fine. I think I'll be replacing my Audiophile with the Xplosion in my next build, you've got to love a soundcard that makes it easy to swap your opamps.

Comment

oh no no. I hear plenty of difference between ac97 and the revolution. It's quite fantastic actually. The clarity is totally unlike what I'm used to.

I meant that I couldn't really hear the difference between the Chaintech and the Revolution.

I'm listening on Z-5500s and Shure e3s btw.

Comment

Working...
                    X