Sound Card Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James
    I meant that I couldn't really hear the difference between the Chaintech and the Revolution.
    Ah, that makes a lot more sense. The Chaintech has an excellent Wolfson DAC on the rears, which helps balance the more pedestrian DAC on the fronts. I'm sure the Revolution sounds better, but if you're listening to a lossy source (which includes most games) then it may not matter.

How do you like those e3's? For the longest time I was stuck between them and the UE Super.fi 5 Pro's that I eventually chose.

Comment

Most of my music is q7 oggs, but I do have a fair amount of flacs as well. So I'd like to think I'm getting something out of the revolution that I wouldn't from the chaintech (although in my brief and unscientific comparison of the two, I really couldn't hear much difference).

The e3s are great. Other than a bunch of ~$200 headphones and the e2s I haven't much to test them against, but they sound very nice comparatively. The response is quite flat, and I can hear lots of subtleties in the music without it becoming tiring on my ears.

Comment

Most of my music is q7 oggs, but I do have a fair amount of flacs as well. So I'd like to think I'm getting something out of the revolution that I wouldn't from the chaintech (although in my brief and unscientific comparison of the two, I really couldn't hear much difference).
        I'd have thought so, too. What kind of music are you listening to? You should hear a bit more detail in natural acoustics. Even poor recordings should sound different, though maybe not better. You should all around have a little clearer sound, but synthetics may not benefit.

They've made some changes to the Revolutions without adjusting the product names, I wonder what exactly they've done. Maybe this is why Newegg started listing M-Audio products by model number instead of product name awhile back.

Or maybe the speakers are a bottleneck here, but I really wouldn't expect that from the Z-5500. Which speakers did you hear the chaintech with?

I guess this might not matter to you much, but I'm curious. Every comparison I've heard has had the Revo beating out the Chaintech.

Comment

I'm listening to a pretty wide range of music: jazz, classical, poppish stuff, rock, a bit of hip hop, etc. I've really noticed the clearer sound in jazz pieces. I can really focus in on a particular instrument or vocals and hear it that much better. Anyways, enough gushing about how much I like my new setup.

I'm not sure offhand which speakers I heard the chaintechs on. The were fairly comparable to the Z-5500s though. As I mentioned way back, it wasn't a back to back listening of the two, so it was highly inaccurate I'm sure.

Comment

I'm listening to a pretty wide range of music: jazz, classical, poppish stuff, rock, a bit of hip hop, etc. I've really noticed the clearer sound in jazz pieces. I can really focus in on a particular instrument or vocals and hear it that much better. Anyways, enough gushing about how much I like my new setup.

I'm not sure offhand which speakers I heard the chaintechs on. The were fairly comparable to the Z-5500s though. As I mentioned way back, it wasn't a back to back listening of the two, so it was highly inaccurate I'm sure.
            That's what I was thinking all along, but I think I'm ready to chalk it up to that now.

Comment

Idea...

Hopefully when this ships, Linux will have another alternative APU which can compete with Creative Labs.

Comment

Have you heard anything on its Linux compatibility?

Razer has yet to directly tell me anything on it, but I think I might be getting one of those in next week.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

No Sir, AFAIK there's no mention of a Linux driver, but I'm hoping that a generic driver will be sufficient to power it. I just want an alternative to this Creative monopoly. The X-Fi won't work in Linux, so we need an equal or superior card to compete with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g
                    No Sir, AFAIK there's no mention of a Linux driver, but I'm hoping that a generic driver will be sufficient to power it. I just want an alternative to this Creative monopoly. The X-Fi won't work in Linux, so we need an equal or superior card to compete with it.
                    I was lobbying them for improved Linux mouse drivers, however, now I will urge them on some audio Linux matters... I'll post if I see any results.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
                      I was lobbying them for improved Linux mouse drivers, however, now I will urge them on some audio Linux matters... I'll post if I see any results.
                      R&D team is currently evaluating the matter... I'll let everyone know once I hear more.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X