Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMI 8788 soundcard - Asus Xonar D2

Hi,
    I am considering buying a Xonar D2 soundcard, after reading this page http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...ClemensLadisch I think the card feature set available at the moment is good enough, but there is one thing I can't find info about: Hwmix support.

I want to know if the CMI8788 sound chip can support hardware mixing like my Audigy and Live cards do now, and when it could be available or if it's planned in the future.

Thanks in advance.

The CMI8788 does not have hardware mixing support. That being said, I own a X-Meridian which has the same chipset and the support in linux is extremely good. I haven't had an issue with it in linux, windows, or os x.
    Last edited by deanjo; 16 April 2008, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Card arrived today, I got it working by recompiling Alsa. Does seem to work correctly.

I have tested it with some mp3 (new details in some songs) and Quake Wars with stereo heaphones, need to test microphone and surround 5.1 speakers.
      Last edited by marakaid; 19 April 2008, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
        Card arrived today, I got it working by recompiling Alsa. Does seem to work correctly.

I have tested it with some mp3 (new details in some songs) and Quake Wars with stereo heaphones, need to test microphone and surround 5.1 speakers.
        I am wondering how did you do the recompiling I sort of get it but in the instructions it mentions about the fully configured source what is that? I have downloaded the newest CMI8788 driver where do I go from there?
        Quick install
        =============

1) You must have full configured source for the Linux kernel which you
        want to use for the ALSA drivers. Note that ALSA drivers are part
        of the kernel, so there is necessary to resolve all symbol dependencies
        between the used kernel and ALSA driver code. Partly installed kernels
        (for example from distributor makers) can be unuseable for this action.

2) You must turn on sound support (soundcore module).

3) Run './configure' script.

* General Options
        If you do not want ISA PnP support, use --with-isapnp=no switch.
        If you do not want sequencer support, use --with-sequencer=no switch.
        If you do not want OSS/Free emulation, use --with-oss=no switch.
        If you have udev or devfs and want to use more than eight cards, use
        --enable-dynamic-minors switch.
        If you want to turn on debug mode, use --with-debug=full switch.
        If you want to debug soundcard detection, try --with-debug=detect switch.

* Kernel Source Tree
        On 2.4/2.6 kernels, the location of the kernel source tree is
        parsed automatilly from the running kernel.
        If it's not in the standard place, specify the path via
        --with-kernel=<kernel_directory>.
        On 2.6 kernels, the build directory has to be given via
        --with-build=<kernel_build_dir> option additionally, too.

* Drivers to Compile
        The card drivers to be compiled can be selected via --with-cards option.
        Pass the card driver name without "snd-" prefix. To specify
        multiple drivers, list names with comma (,).
        Passing "all" will compile all possible drivers (and this is the
        default choice).
        Some drivers have compile options. They can be passed via
        --with-card-options option. Multiple options can be passed with comma,
        too. The default is "all".
        For available cards and options, see ./configure --help.

* Example
        ./configure --with-debug=full
        ./configure --with-cards=sb16,emu10k1 --with-card-options=sb16-csp

Comment

Originally posted by Paroxysm View Post
          I am wondering how did you do the recompiling I sort of get it but in the instructions it mentions about the fully configured source what is that? I have downloaded the newest CMI8788 driver where do I go from there?
          Search your distributions repositories for kernel-headers download them and you should be good to go.
          if your distro is using kernel 2.6.25 with alsa built in or alsa 1.0.16 you shouldn't need to built the drivers.

Comment

I was using Ubuntu Gutsy (includes Alsa 1.0.15) and downloaded ALSA 1.0.16. Compilation was done with the help of module-assistant.

Latest Ubuntu Hardy has ALSA 1.0.16 included, card should work "out of the box".

Comment

The sound card I installed is XonarDX(Asus)PCIe 7.1 and my OS is Ubuntu Hardy not sure if this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Paroxysm View Post
                The sound card I installed is XonarDX(Asus)PCIe 7.1 and my OS is Ubuntu Hardy not sure if this helps
                The drive should be avaliable to you already; no need to compile it.

Comment

Wierd when I booted up the Volume control was muted I turned it up but no sound so I then went into preferences and there was only two choices alsa mixer and generic I tried both but niether seem to work

Comment

Try using alsamixer in console, to keep the configuration between reboots use "alsactl store" as root or "sudo alsactl store".

Comment

Working...
                    X