No announcement yet.

CMI 8788 soundcard - Asus Xonar D2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been working on installing the Asus Xonar DX for quite a time now... it's fine on 32-bit Ubuntu Gutsy, with great sound, but doesn't work at all on 64-bit Ubuntu Hardy. I've tried the most recent ALSA release, and OSS, and even a compile with the ia32-libs installed in case a 32-bit compatibility layer was the issue.

What is noticeable, from hours of Googling, is that the people who have functioning Xonars on Linux, either 32 or 64-bit, are using the D2, which is a PCI card, unlike the DX or D2X (both PCIe). I guess this is somehow significant?

Comment

Originally posted by in0v8 View Post
      I have been working on installing the Asus Xonar DX for quite a time now... it's fine on 32-bit Ubuntu Gutsy, with great sound, but doesn't work at all on 64-bit Ubuntu Hardy. I've tried the most recent ALSA release, and OSS, and even a compile with the ia32-libs installed in case a 32-bit compatibility layer was the issue.

What is noticeable, from hours of Googling, is that the people who have functioning Xonars on Linux, either 32 or 64-bit, are using the D2, which is a PCI card, unlike the DX or D2X (both PCIe). I guess this is somehow significant?
      I recently did a build for a friend using the Xonar DX and opensuse 11.0 64-bit picked up and installed it from the get go.

Comment

That's reassuring, deanjo, although I'd like to understand better what suse is doing to make this possible!? I have tried a fresh install of Ubuntu Hardy 64-bit in an effort to solve this problem - and it didn't. Ubuntu knows the card is there (lspci -v), so does alsaconf (at least it detects and identifies the chip correctly). But aplay -l returns a negative, as does asoundconf.

Comment

The Xonar D2 is a standard CMI8738 with native PCI connection, supported in Alsa 1.16 already.

The Xonar D2X and Xonar DX are the same CMI8738 based but with a "PX bridge" to PCI express, the reason (i pressume) it doesn't work out of the box is that the Bridge device driver MUST be present on the system for the audio device to be caught by ALSA.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleDM View Post
            The Xonar D2 is a standard CMI8738 with native PCI connection, supported in Alsa 1.16 already.

The Xonar D2X and Xonar DX are the same CMI8738 based but with a "PX bridge" to PCI express, the reason (i pressume) it doesn't work out of the box is that the Bridge device driver MUST be present on the system for the audio device to be caught by ALSA.
            I think you made a typo, CMI8738 is a different chip!

Comment

Yes, you're right, sorry, my bad, but the idea was there

Comment

Working...
              X