Many HID Improvements For Linux 4.1, Wacom Bamboo Pads Properly Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many HID Improvements For Linux 4.1, Wacom Bamboo Pads Properly Supported

Phoronix: Many HID Improvements For Linux 4.1, Wacom Bamboo Pads Properly Supported

Jiri Kosina has queued up a range of HID driver updates for the now in-development Linux 4.1 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Many HID Improvements For Linux 4.1, Wacom Bamboo Pads Properly Supported

Jiri Kosina has queued up a range of HID driver updates for the now in-development Linux 4.1 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ID-Driver-Pull
    hid-huion works nice with the gt-190 not that it's hard to install it but having there by default will help many confused people who try to use the wacom/wizarpen driver for huion products. It really works well.

Comment

I'm a little confused, because I have the exact bamboo tablet that's pictured in the article, and I never had any issues. Is there something that doesn't work that I don't know about?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        I'm a little confused, because I have the exact bamboo tablet that's pictured in the article, and I never had any issues. Is there something that doesn't work that I don't know about?
        It might be the same issue as the touchpad on my t450s-- it 'works' with Linux <=4.0, but proper support is only in >=4.0
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Proper kernel tablet support? While it sounds nice and all, how do we configure it? There are some options that the xorg drivers for wacom tablets have that are kind of essential. (Like setting the active surface aspect ratio to that of your monitor, although the option to do it is broken, it can be done manually)

Comment

nm didn't notice the manual part

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Proper kernel tablet support? While it sounds nice and all, how do we configure it? There are some options that the xorg drivers for wacom tablets have that are kind of essential. (Like setting the active surface aspect ratio to that of your monitor, although the option to do it is broken, it can be done manually)
              The kernel is just one part, then there is Xorg input driver and for config there should be tools. E.g. some parts you can configure in GIMP or Inkscape, and KDE does have a tablet config tool. (in gentoo the package is called kde-misc/wacomtablet )
              I wasn't aware that the Bamboo series was not fully supported (??) yet in kernel, cause it worked for me. But I am no expert on tablets so I might have missed something.

edit: Umm, maybe bamboo pad is not the same as bamboo tablet? Must check that.
              Last edited by Adarion; 15 April 2015, 04:54 AM.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

No it's the same, I also believe that this support extends to the Intuos series (that is the replacement of Bamboo, for example CTH-680 is called Intuos Pen & Touch; Bamboo is no longer being developed (and probably not being manufactured either, and this has been so for I think like 2 or 3 years now)

The only thing I did notice failing on my CTH-680 in linux was the driver option "KeepShape" which is supposed to force the tablet's aspect ratio to match that of your display (in windows this is called "Force Proportions") it's an option you shouldn't be living without probably, my tablet defaults to 16:10 aspect ratio, but my monitor is 16:9, result is that everything I draw will be horizontally stretched, the precision is off.

However since this option wasn't working, I worked my way around it by setting the Area parameter manually. There was something about it on the Arch wiki for wacom tablets (Although I put it there myself, after grubbing around with this whole thing). Would be nice to have a Cintiq to avoid all this messiness.

I'm a bit interested in the Huion tablets though, I'm open to alternatives to Wacom, I don't really like Wacom all that much (Their prices are fucking ridiculous, they're just as bad if not worse than Apple in that regard *growl*)

I've never used tablet config tools besides the one's in-program, I manually define the desired settings for my tablet in a xorg config file, it's best to do that and then calibrate the tablet with the program you use (I love Krita <3, and it's really easy to calibrate the pressure sensitivity among other things in it, I find it easier than Gimp). I think I tried to use a GUI utility to config my Wacom tablet once, but it didn't work. Maybe I should make one....
                Last edited by rabcor; 16 April 2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  I'm a bit interested in the Huion tablets though, I'm open to alternatives to Wacom, I don't really like Wacom all that much (Their prices are fucking ridiculous, they're just as bad if not worse than Apple in that regard *growl)
                  I bought a Huion H610PRO a while ago, and what little use it sees, it performs well with Krita.

Comment

Working...
                  X