Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcend SSD370 256GB

Phoronix: Transcend SSD370 256GB

It's been ten years since last testing any Transcend products, back in the days of DDR2 memory and 1GB flash drives. However, that changed when recently picking up a Transcend SSD370 256GB solid-state drive.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kind of... unbelievable... especially judging by the other tests that in this one particular test all the drives are so slow.
    maybe the test itself is broken?

Comment

Prices of SSDs getting a lot cheaper these days...

128GB SSD for root partition
      512GB SSD for my home directory

Now get rid of the optical drive bays, 3.5" drive bays, put in 2 SSD brackets behind the motherboard tray, replace my ATX PSU with FSP 220W Flex ATX PSU which is more than what I want for my M-ATX build, and slim it down to 12.6" in depth and height while still leaving room for 240mm radiator inside the top of the case.

Couple that with a nice APU for casual gaming and music creation, and that would be awesome. Being small while having plenty of expansion slots with less wattage and two solid state drives behind the motherboard tray is awesome.

But that would be in my dream unless I build a case specifically with two SSDs, SFX PSU, and mATX motherboard in mind using a 3D printer.

Comment

well, i do not partiton my home from /, i only use one efi fat32 partition and / (on systems with low memory i add swap or on laptops without multiboot). / would be used for maybe 7-8 gb only, no need for 2 ssds. in case of update installs, i wipe out everything with the exception of home (and lost+found if not btrfs) and install with same username without format, that works fine with my own system... the more partitions you have go the more space you lose but using a full ssd for / is pure overkill.
        Last edited by Kano; 13 February 2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          well, i do not partiton my home from /, i only use one efi fat32 partition and / (on systems with low memory i add swap or on laptops without multiboot). / would be used for maybe 7-8 gb only, no need for 2 ssds. in case of update installs, i wipe out everything with the exception of home (and lost+found if not btrfs) and install with same username without format, that works fine with my own system... the more partitions you have go the more space you lose but using a full ssd for / is pure overkill.
          That's true, but SSDs are starting to become cheaper these days, so I could give it 128MB for EFI and the rest of the disk space for / for one SSD and give the home partition to another SSD, keeping the user data separate from the main SSD. I'm planning to upgrade to 16GB of RAM for music creation with sample libraries or GIMP or Blender, making swap unnecessary in SSD.

Comment

To keep the number of writes to the SSD low in order to maximize its life I surely will add as much RAM to the machine as possible and put /tmp into RAM. Also for ext4 journaling can be disabled to save more writes.

I would advise not to keep valuable data on an SSD unless there's backups being done regularly or keeping data on a regular spinning HDD.

For Windows it gets trickier...the page file should be on a regular HDD, not sure how the registry be handled as this gets updated quite often when machine state changes.

Comment

850 evo

a good benchmark will be the 850 evo, its fast and cheap

Comment

Well there are some weird issues with EVO drives. I would most likely to use Crucial MX100, but no money right now...

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  To keep the number of writes to the SSD low in order to maximize its life I surely will add as much RAM to the machine as possible and put /tmp into RAM. Also for ext4 journaling can be disabled to save more writes.

I would advise not to keep valuable data on an SSD unless there's backups being done regularly or keeping data on a regular spinning HDD.

For Windows it gets trickier...the page file should be on a regular HDD, not sure how the registry be handled as this gets updated quite often when machine state changes.
                  Hmm... I hope SSDs get better over time to not be such an issue. I suppose I can go with 2.5" HDDs in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well there are some weird issues with EVO drives. I would most likely to use Crucial MX100, but no money right now...
                    There are also issues with MX100 and there is no firmware update.

Comment

Working...
                    X