Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    To keep the number of writes to the SSD low in order to maximize its life
    Not sure this is really a problem these days. Modern SSDs can last a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
      There are also issues with MX100 and there is no firmware update.
      http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/bd-p/ssd
      Used a fair few MX100's and M500's and I've not seen any issues with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        Used a fair few MX100's and M500's and I've not seen any issues with them.
        Some system can trigger some firmware/controller bug, but other one don't have to. It can depend on disk driver.
        example: if QUEUED-TRIM is used

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          Hmm... I hope SSDs get better over time to not be such an issue. I suppose I can go with 2.5" HDDs in the meantime.
          HDD can also die. SSDs will be probably be better, but non-expensive ones will be less reliable because of broken design/missing features, lower quality or buggy firmware.

Comment

Some system can trigger some firmware/controller bug, but other one don't have to. It can depend on disk driver.
            example: if QUEUED-TRIM is used
            http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial...ux/td-p/151028
            Linux only bug it would seem from that, not the first time there has been a kernel bug blamed on elsewhere

Do remember most hardware is designed to run with Windows, Linux being an afterthought.

I'm dealing with my own cluster-f*ck of a regression on sata thanks to a piss poor commit.

Comment

Linux only bug it would seem from that, not the first time there has been a kernel bug blamed on elsewhere
              Windows probably doesn't support queued trim or Crucial employees ensure that queued trim is disabled for Crucial drives in Windows drivers.
              queued trim would have to be disabled for all SSDs including non-Crucial ones if it was kernel bug.
              There are also many posts about issues from Windows users in other threads.

Comment

Windows probably doesn't support queued trim or Crucial employees ensure that queued trim is disabled for Crucial drives in Windows drivers.
                queued trim would have to be disabled for all SSDs including non-Crucial ones if it was kernel bug.
                There are also many posts about issues from Windows users in other threads.

I read with interest ALPM has a bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                  Not sure this is really a problem these days. Modern SSDs can last a lifetime.
                  That writeup, if it can even be considered as such, is full of nonsense.

Comment

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89261
                    I read with interest ALPM has a bearing.
                    This is some issue with that drive. There would similar reports with non-Crucial drives if it was kernel bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      That writeup, if it can even be considered as such, is full of nonsense.
                      Can you provide some examples of such nonsense?

Also -- did you read the linked article from The Tech Report? Here's a quote from that article's conclusion:
                      The results of our experiment do, however, point to some more general conclusions about SSDs as a whole. Although only two drives made it to 2PB, all six wrote hundreds of terabytes without issue, vastly exceeding their official endurance specifications. More importantly, the drives all survived far more writes than most users are likely to generate. Typical consumers shouldn't worry about exceeding the endurance of modern SSDs.

Comment

Working...
                      X