Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Spec hunting is for kiddies.
    The real question is: How much more power does it consume?
    As long as it needs more power (which is more than likely) this board cannot smash anything.
    Hmm.... maybe if you did some spec hunting you would know how much power it consumes

But anyway, it's power protector IC supports 5v 2A. According to the tech specs, the device should use 0.5A if no USB devices are connected, though I'm not sure if that's under load.

The CPU is an A5, which is supposed to be very power efficient, however, Hardkernel has a tendency to overclock their devices. I think the A5 was only supposed to go up to 800MHz, but this is at 1500MHz. Pretty huge step up, however, it still doesn't appear to require a heatsink. That being said, it still must be pretty power efficient.

There is a very good chance that in terms of performance-per-watt, this board is far more efficient than the Pi.

Comment

It is good to see gigabit ethernet, but I wish it had at least one USB 3.0 port too.

Comment

No, it doesn't have a USB 3.0 connector...but same happens with the RPi.

BTW, at 65 USD and just a bit bigger, there's the UX3 Lite w/4 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 for normal use, not to mention a lot more powerfull HW...but yeah, almost twice the price and bigger power drain.

Comment

$9 delivery makes it $44 not $35.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            There is a very good chance that in terms of performance-per-watt, this board is far more efficient than the Pi.
            Better Performance-Per-Watt does not solve the higher power consumption problem.
            THIS is spec hunting

5$ the year just for a single RaPi are not nothing

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              this alone makes it worth it, hard to get a SoC with that anywhere near this price range.
              OlinuXino-LIME2 gets near that:
              Olimex A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 Open Source Hardware embedded ARM Linux Android computer with Allwinner Dual Core Cortex-A7 A20 1GB RAM and 1000Mb Ethernet 16GB eMMC 16MB SPI Flash Industrial grade -40+85C

This dual core, but it's Cortex A7, while the Hardkernel on is Cortex A5:

The price is a bit higher (45? vs 35$), but with these price ranges, shipping takes a relevant role, and Olimex is based in Europe, while Hardkernel in South Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
                OlinuXino-LIME2 gets near that:
                Olimex A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 Open Source Hardware embedded ARM Linux Android computer with Allwinner Dual Core Cortex-A7 A20 1GB RAM and 1000Mb Ethernet 16GB eMMC 16MB SPI Flash Industrial grade -40+85C

This dual core, but it's Cortex A7, while the Hardkernel on is Cortex A5:

The price is a bit higher (45? vs 35$), but with these price ranges, shipping takes a relevant role, and Olimex is based in Europe, while Hardkernel in South Korea.
                Oh, and LIME2 has a SATA connector.

Comment

It all comes to simple question - do we need yet another single board computer with no significant differences between it and existing boards? There is a lot of them already and most of them aren't much interesting due to price or lack of features, docs, nice APIs. There won't be USB3 or SATA if the SoC doesn't support them, and most of them do not. Only some have SATA and rather none of the cheap ones have USB3. Running those boards as "PC" 24/7 or alike is also bit pointless as consumer devices will be cheaper (like RK3188 Android dongles (which can do Linux) vs Radxa Rock or even RPi in this case :P), or at some point for the sake of ease of use and features a nettop or fanless mini ITX PC would be vastly better.

Comment

What matters to me the most is whether XBMC/Kodi supports this board. Last time I checked, RPi was still the only really supported board.

Comment

Originally posted by LubosD View Post
                      What matters to me the most is whether XBMC/Kodi supports this board. Last time I checked, RPi was still the only really supported board.
                      This.

If there is no HW GPU acceleration then it really doesnt smash anything at all...

Comment

Working...
                      X