No announcement yet.

Btrfs RAID HDD Testing On Ubuntu Linux 14.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should make a btrfs vs zfs comparison..

Comment

Benchmarks don't make sense

I've read the previous comments, but these benchmarks still don't make sense. With a single disk or with multiple disks, they're all going to have to update the metadata. Is there some synchronization between the disks, I'm missing? Even then, I wouldn't expect this sort of performance impact. If you know why, please ELI5. I did some googling, but found no satisfactory answers.

Flexible IO Tester (Random/Sequential Read): Why isn't RAID 0 == RAID 1? There data can be read from multiple locations for both types. Does the microcontroller just suck? The benchmarks would make more sense if it was the performance of read+write for RAID 0 and 1, but this test should only be testing read performance.

Flexible IO Tester (Random/Sequential Write): Why isn't RAID 0 ~ 2 * single disk? You can parallel the write operations. I would expect single disk ~ RAID 1 (which is kind of the case. Looks like there is some overhead somewhere.)

FS Mark: this one actually makes sense. This worries me.

IOZone (Write performance): WTF? RAID 0 == 2.23 * single disk?

PostMark: This is a single threaded benchmark, but I/O can still be read/written in parallel for RAID 1. Is the bottle neck somewhere else then?

Comment

In fact, what I would like to see is ZFS's lzjb and lz4 vs BTRFS's lzo and zlib..
        Do it, plz!

Comment

Strange results

Hi all

Looking at the results, the sequential read values don't make a lot of sense i believe: why are there so many IO's which by the way are very similar to random reads?
          Also the throughput is very low for sequential reads? Something wrong with test or values?

Regards
          Seb

Comment

Working...
          X