Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches Radeon R7 Series SSDs

Phoronix: AMD Launches Radeon R7 Series SSDs

Not to be confused with the Radeon R7 graphics cards, AMD today officially announced the Radeon R7 SSD line-up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD Launches Radeon R7 Series SSDs

Not to be confused with the Radeon R7 graphics cards, AMD today officially announced the Radeon R7 SSD line-up...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2NjU
    Nothing interesting.

Comment

$100 for 120GB? They'd have to be something pretty special. Even if they were pushing the limits of a SATA3 connection, I'd still consider that a pretty high price. Sandisk stuff can be had for about ?70 GBP for 250GB. And I don't care what specs say, there's not a lot of noticeable difference between a super fast SSD and merely a reasonable SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Michae
        The AMD Radeon SSDs are done in partnership with OCZ Storage Solutions, which as many are aware is now owned by Toshiba. The Radeon SSDs use Toshiba's A19 MLC NAND flash memory with Barefoot 3 M00 controller. The 120GB Radeon R7 SSD starts out with a $100 USD price tag.
        So, if I buy a cheap OCZ-brand ssd, peel off the AMD Radeon sticker from my brother's boxed cards and stick them onto the ssd, I'll have a Radeon-brand SSD?

On a more serious note, if AMD thinks that selling its own RAM and SSD is going to save its uncompetitive products from Intel and Nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          So, if I buy a cheap OCZ-brand ssd, peel off the AMD Radeon sticker from my brother's boxed cards and stick them onto the ssd, I'll have a Radeon-brand SSD?

On a more serious note, if AMD thinks that selling its own RAM and SSD is going to save its uncompetitive products from Intel and Nvidia...
          That AMD radeon memory is good stuff. It's fast, low profile, and a decent price. It's a great price when you take into account the low profile of it. Regardless, I won't be picking up one of these for quite some time. In a year, SSDs will probably be half the price and we might even be getting rid of SATA since they're bottlenecking the SSDs now.

Comment

Its PCIe SSD or regular SATA SSD?

Comment

Can someone please fire all of AMD's marketing department?
              Who the hell came up with the idea of naming SSDs like their videocards?
              I can see already the confusion on support forums: "But the package says it works with Radeon R7!!!"

Seriously, how stupid can a whole department in such a large company be?

Comment

$100 for 120 gb? Pretty steep for todays SSD pricing. Can get the 256 gb MX100 for ~$110.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                  $100 for 120 gb? Pretty steep for todays SSD pricing. Can get the 256 gb MX100 for ~$110.
                  Really? You quote a POS MX100 and proclaim $100 for basically 120/128GB is expensive?

Seems to be well priced.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Really? You quote a POS MX100 and proclaim $100 for basically 120/128GB is expensive?

Seems to be well priced.
                    Please do tell why the MX100 is a POS.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100-.../dp/B00KFAGCWK
                    Looking pretty damn nice with its 4.8 star rating.

Comment

Working...
                    X