Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi B+ ARM Debian Benchmarks

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi B+ ARM Debian Benchmarks

Available from OpenBenchmarking.org are some tests of the brand new Raspberry Pi B+ ARM system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Identical

IDENTICAL, as one would expect.

Comment

But how is it compared to the BeagleBone Black? I just saw that on Greg KH's desk and he stated "wildly nicer than the Raspberry PI", and that got me interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        But how is it compared to the BeagleBone Black? I just saw that on Greg KH's desk and he stated "wildly nicer than the Raspberry PI", and that got me interested.
        Use google.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Here you go: http://www.rkblog.rk.edu.pl/w/p/benc...oard-computer/ - it's not noticeably faster, but it does have noticeably more GPIO Radxa is much faster but it has no high level libraries to easily use its GPIO...

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
            Here you go: http://www.rkblog.rk.edu.pl/w/p/benc...oard-computer/ - it's not noticeably faster, but it does have noticeably more GPIO Radxa is much faster but it has no high level libraries to easily use its GPIO...
            That's a bit unfair to say so. Nobody cares about synthetic benchmarks. Look at the real world performance like dcraw and nging. BBB is over twice as fast at serving web pages and also twice as fast rendering raw images.. Maybe those are more i/o bound. Anyways, RPi is a total failure for many real world tasks. Even if the new B+ model has better power filtering, the pwm audio is still 44,1 kHz / 12bits or something lo-fi like that. You'd definitely want a dedicated $5 sound chip if you care about audio. It's mostly preferred by a huge army of fanboys. Reminds me of the PC crowd back in the day when Amiga was far superior in every possible way..

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              That's a bit unfair to say so. Nobody cares about synthetic benchmarks. Look at the real world performance like dcraw and nging. BBB is over twice as fast at serving web pages and also twice as fast rendering raw images.. Maybe those are more i/o bound. Anyways, RPi is a total failure for many real world tasks. Even if the new B+ model has better power filtering, the pwm audio is still 44,1 kHz / 12bits or something lo-fi like that. You'd definitely want a dedicated $5 sound chip if you care about audio. It's mostly preferred by a huge army of fanboys. Reminds me of the PC crowd back in the day when Amiga was far superior in every possible way..
              It's rather not going to change, sadly. Raspberry seems vendor lock and one device locked as well as "everything else is irrelevant for education".

Comment

The Raspberry Pi was never ever about performance. It was about 1) being cheap, and 2) building an educational platform on it. Fanboys not required to make moot the 'poor performance' argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                  The Raspberry Pi was never ever about performance. It was about 1) being cheap, and 2) building an educational platform on it. Fanboys not required to make moot the 'poor performance' argument.
                  There are cheaper and faster devices than RPi. For example if you happen to know beforehand what you want, there are really fast HTPC dongles like chromecast and allwinner boards from China, both faster and cheaper than RPi can ever be. And better form factor. If you want e-ink, there are tablets with 6" screen and large battery that are cheaper and leaner than RPi + battery + screen + wires. Cubietruck and other boards with integrated chips for bt/wifi/eMMC are also actually faster, cheaper and smaller than RPi + separately bought external dongles and hubs.

Before this new B+ model was released, the old model was really bad for educational desktop use. The system would reset itself if you plugged in e.g. a usb keyboard and sometimes corrupted many sd cards. They also tried to fix the usb power / polyfuse problem several times and there are now like 4-5 different hardware versions of model B/B+. RPi might work for you if you just plug it someplace and forget it, but for interactive use, due to the hardware bugs it was worse than any other board I've ever used.
                  Last edited by caligula; 23 July 2014, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X