Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFF Aims To Launch An Open Wireless Router

Phoronix: EFF Aims To Launch An Open Wireless Router

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is today announcing a new Open Wireless Router initiative today at the HOPE X conference...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very appealing features for consumers, if only more people were computer (security) savvy

Comment

Originally posted by EFF
      Allow small business and home users to easily enable an open network, so guests and passersby can get an Internet connection if they need one, while keeping a password-locked WPA2 network for themselves and their friends or coworkers
      Why will I want to share MY internet connection, which I am paying out of my own pocket, with strangers and passersby? Are they paying me for it? No? Then they can bugger off. My subscription, my exclusive use. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Why will I want to share MY internet connection, which I am paying out of my own pocket, with strangers and passersby? Are they paying me for it? No? Then they can bugger off. My subscription, my exclusive use. Period.
        Some of us have flat-rate Internet service and some people in cities can spare a couple of megabits downstream. (eg. In many places, plans go up in increments of 10 or 15 megabits on the downstream side.)

Comment

Because if you were out-and-about, wouldn't it be nice if you could get free wi-fi access to the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            Because if you were out-and-about, wouldn't it be nice if you could get free wi-fi access to the internet?
            That's the problem right there. People want free. Never mind that virtually all mobile phone plans come with bundled data, they rather piggyback off someone else's and get it for free instead of using their OWN paid-for data bundle.

Originally posted by ssokolow
            Some of us have flat-rate Internet service and some people in cities can spare a couple of megabits downstream. (eg. In many places, plans go up in increments of 10 or 15 megabits on the downstream side.)
            And all you need is 1 joker to abuse it and everyone will start coming. Look at how many people cram Starbucks and eateries just for WiFi and order only the barest of items on the menu while hogging places that other legitimate diners are waiting for.

I'm okay with sharing my WiFi with legitimate visitors that actually drop by to pay me a visit, but not to freeloaders who just camp out and piggyback on my wifi network. That's why I only turn on the 'Guest' access when i get actual visitors to my home, and turn it off once they leave.
            Last edited by Sonadow; 21 July 2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

That's the problem right there. People want free. Never mind that virtually all mobile phone plans come with bundled data, they rather piggyback off someone else's and get it for free instead of using their OWN paid-for data bundle.

And all you need is 1 joker to abuse it and everyone will start coming. Look at how many people cram Starbucks and eateries just for WiFi and order only the barest of items on the menu while hogging places that other legitimate diners are waiting for.

I'm okay with sharing my WiFi with legitimate visitors that actually drop by to pay me a visit, but not to freeloaders who just camp out and piggyback on my wifi network. That's why I only turn on the 'Guest' access when i get actual visitors to my home, and turn it off once they leave.
              I'm stuck on 5Mbit (countryside neighbourhood with a copper trunk to the Bell building) and prefer a multiply-locked-down WiFi that grants portable devices access to an otherwise purely wired internal network, so I behave the same way you do... but we're not representative of the whole world.
              Last edited by ssokolow; 21 July 2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EFF
                - Provide state-of-the-art network queuing, so most users can expect an improved Internet experience?especially with latency-sensitive applications?compared to what commonly available consumer grade routers are delivering today.

- Offer a minimalist, secure, and elegant Web user interface to set up and configure the router. Advanced, non-minimalist administrative options are accessible by SSH.
                These are really just the only things that are of interest to me.

Comment

the problem i see is that people just might do illegal things like filesharing via torrent. And YOU are going to be sued for not securing your network.

Comment

- Offer a minimalist, secure, and elegant Web user interface to set up and configure the router. Advanced, non-minimalist administrative options are accessible by SSH.
                    That sounds useful. Can the networks companies start providing us with decent boxes? Mine won't do static IP assignment within the local network, making a home server impossible (dynamic DNS only solves the external IP being dynamic).

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                    the problem i see is that people just might do illegal things like filesharing via torrent. And YOU are going to be sued for not securing your network.
                    Thankfully, that's not illegal here, but I'm still not sure if I'd want to share my connection with strangers.

Comment

Working...
                    X