No announcement yet.

EFF Aims To Launch An Open Wireless Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let you share a bounded portion of your bandwidth on the open network, so guest users cannot slow down your Internet connection or use a large portion of your monthly quota.
    I think you are missing *bounded* part of the proposal. I have 100mbps fiber. Would I even feel a blip if I shared 1mbps or 512kbps with neighbours that want to check their e-mail? Not really. So why not? It would be very nice if everyone did it.

For those in the "OMG GET A DATA PLAN". Erm... Not everyone lives in a place with cheap data plans? They certainly aren't cheap where I live, and lots of people don't have them.

It's strange to see such agressiveness in the comments towards sharing stuff because it's cool and people would appreciate it in a site about *linux* of all things...

Comment

Are they going to make (or rather planning to make) an actual router, HW and everything, or is it just another router firmware.

FOSS hardware hasn't gone that well so far.

Comment

My opinion is that we need a new class of metropolitan network that will kill all providers. I have seen mobile accessory antennas that can communicate in a distance of 80km with mediocre visibility between them and outdoor fixed point ones that can do that from 190km and all that relative cheap. As more beam like the antenna is, the better, the safer. As more to the Terahertz band, the same. I have seen antennas and chips that can communicate with GBps speed or lasers with TBps speed. I have seen early quantum encryption over them. That we need is a Libre Access Point that is on the road of what i describe. That can automatically connect with other many others at once, encrypted but without password, till the last backbone. Also a GPS like channel, independent from the data channel, so you can find your position without the danger to find you. An IP over IP service, lets say IPv7 like, for the early days when we will share our cable connection. So when I connect with your ADSL Libre Router - Access Point, i have my own IP via your ADSL connection, and not your IP. MAFIA tho, can sue you for my Torrent download, but you can prove your innocence. It's not in their favor if they don't want to admit the existence of my IP system.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          It's strange to see such agressiveness in the comments towards sharing stuff because it's cool and people would appreciate it in a site about *linux* of all things...
          Indeed. Thankfully the hatred comes from a single person so far.

Comment

Huh. There are plenty of open routers shipping with DD-WRT already, and even more routers flashable to DD-WRT without many issues. I'm not sure why the EFF would get involved with this...

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Are they going to make (or rather planning to make) an actual router, HW and everything, or is it just another router firmware.

FOSS hardware hasn't gone that well so far.
              I think that's what they're aiming for. They'll market hardware with the aforementioned firmware. The flamefest in this thread is misguided. The network/internet sharing is aimed for businesses such as hotels, convention centres, etc. If you do not desire to share your bandwidth, you don't have to. I do not understand how much different would this be from OpenWRT? Can't they just use OpenWRT or modify it to suit their needs? "I think it's wasted effort."

Comment

Communications providers pay money to buy spectrum, deploy infrastructure, etc. then charge for its use, aiming to profit whilst trying to retain a monopoly. If you like, we could all keep paying them forever. Or, a handful of nice people could share Internet connectivity in their local areas, at only minimal cost to themselves, and then some basic level of Internet access is free for all. If just 0.1% of people who use and enjoy the free network are inspired to set up a hotspot at their own home for others, the free network grows.

The more ridiculous the price of mobile data, the more valuable a free network would be. The larger the free network gets, the harder it is to justify extortionate prices.

If enough people close together would participate, mesh networks are possible. Local, private links are not vulnerable to interception of metadata and unencrypted traffic, like a centralised Internet backbone is.

If you're in a country where giving Internet access to people anonymously is legally risky, tunnel the guest network's traffic into Tor so that it can exit someplace else?

Comment

Not everyone has a house to themselves

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Why will I want to share MY internet connection, which I am paying out of my own pocket, with strangers and passersby? Are they paying me for it? No? Then they can bugger off. My subscription, my exclusive use. Period.
                  In my activist community, group and collective houses are very common, so are issues with getting the wifi to connect to everyone's computers. Obviously when running a group house-or just an open wifi setup, you want to stay well clear of any kind of capped data plans, no matter what the rest of the terms. Throttled can be lived with, but never, ever capped. I would turn off my service and rely on libraries and other free wifi access before I would pay a penny for a capped plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    That's the problem right there. People want free. Never mind that virtually all mobile phone plans come with bundled data, they rather piggyback off someone else's and get it for free instead of using their OWN paid-for data bundle.

And all you need is 1 joker to abuse it and everyone will start coming. Look at how many people cram Starbucks and eateries just for WiFi and order only the barest of items on the menu while hogging places that other legitimate diners are waiting for.

I'm okay with sharing my WiFi with legitimate visitors that actually drop by to pay me a visit, but not to freeloaders who just camp out and piggyback on my wifi network. That's why I only turn on the 'Guest' access when i get actual visitors to my home, and turn it off once they leave.
                    I don't even trust my friends. Have a squid proxy at home and blocked ports 443 and 22 for guests. The web usage is also logged at http header level to prevent abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                      I think that's what they're aiming for. They'll market hardware with the aforementioned firmware. The flamefest in this thread is misguided. The network/internet sharing is aimed for businesses such as hotels, convention centres, etc. If you do not desire to share your bandwidth, you don't have to. I do not understand how much different would this be from OpenWRT? Can't they just use OpenWRT or modify it to suit their needs? "I think it's wasted effort."
                      Well OpenWRT doesn't run systemd so it's not that compatible with modern Linux user space development.

Comment

Working...
                      X