X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmrezaie
    replied
    Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
    Awe poor Michael can't handle running unstable software(kernels) in production? Man stick to testing them for people like us who can handle these sorts of problems, fix them, but also don't have the time or resources to just automate everything like you do which makes this site's numbers & benchmark results worth being in my RSS feeds.

Fix it yourself(use a stable kernel) and stop bitching or go back to the Mac side. No one is forcing you to stick on linux but try not to bitch & whine & complain about problems you cause for yourself.
    How is this "not bitching"?

Leave a comment:

• enrico.tagliavini
    replied
    About your font problem: it happened to be with IVB when using Xorg server 1.15.0 and mesa 10.1.0. It turned out it was a bug in xorg solved in 1.15.1.

When it happens check in dmesg if you have a gpu hang, if so copy /sys/class/drm/card0/error and go to the intel linux graphics channel or open a bug on freedesktop.org. Intel developers are usually helpfull in solving problems, but might ask you some of your time to test patches.

About your problems with the new laptop: sorry about that, but, if I can be honest, I think you did a bad choice with an Asus laptop. From my experience (a little bit dated now since I stoppped buying Asus) and what I hear on the internet they are hit and miss. For sure Asus is not at Apple level anyway, no surprise you have regrets. You had a System76 in your had and you didn't bought one...... I guess you had your reasons..... but then why not a Dell or a Lenovo? In Asia some (high end) model is even sold with Linux preinstalled! Dell even has a nice Aluminium case, it is really mac like, you will feel home

Leave a comment:

• Krysto
    replied
    You're better off going with a dedicated card with the same performance...it will actually be cheaper than Intel's Iris Pro.

Leave a comment:

• Anarchy
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post

Like I said, get one of these
    . They have worked flawless for me for years, and are really good throughput (I get around ~20 - 30 MB/s) for only $13. Yeah, they are only available off ebay, but I've gotten them from mk for years with good shipping and they always have worked so far. I'm sure the Sputnik uses a standard half size mpcie wifi nic.
    I understand what you mean by that. I've done the same thing on an older piece of hardware. I replaced a broadcom wifi card with proprietary closed source drivers to atheros one. Works like a charm. But, the Dell xps is not personally mine, so I cannot open it and change things inside. I got it from work, so if I do that I lose the three years warranty and I might end up paying for the whole thing if something goes wrong. I'd rather not do that.

Leave a comment:

• zanny
    replied
    It's still an impressive piece of hardware. The only thing that I really care about are the wireless driver bugs, so for me it's really okay, but next time I'm going for a mac unless I find something that I'm one hundred percent sure it works as good as one.

Like I said, get one of these
    . They have worked flawless for me for years, and are really good throughput (I get around ~20 - 30 MB/s) for only $13. Yeah, they are only available off ebay, but I've gotten them from mk for years with good shipping and they always have worked so far. I'm sure the Sputnik uses a standard half size mpcie wifi nic.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    mesa 10.1.3 in proposed, i upgrade only mesa to 10.1.3, i notice no difference from 10.1.0
    That is expected from stable point releases, there is no any new features just fixes .

You can read there what it contains, there is bunch of fixes from 10.1.0 which is currently in ubuntu main:

But i guess they will update that sometime .
    Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2014, 08:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Anarchy
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post
    I'd recommend the Dell Sputnik for anyone who wants to see what Linux is actually capable of. A friend of mine has the 2013 model and it has never had a fault - if you want stable, you throw 12.04 (or 14.04 now) on a Sputnik and never do anything to break it. And it won't break.
    I have a dell xps 13 (2013) sputnik laptop. It's okay, but I would not recommend it to others. Ubuntu runs fine for most of the time, but the Intel wireless drivers are still very much buggy (I hope they will get better in the future), and the hardware quality is subpar when compared to analogous Apple hardware. The screen has visible pressure points, and there is a very characteristic whine noise in the speakers and when using headphones. The first is a typical QA problem, but the second might be Linux kernel bug or something connected with the hardware. There have been reports that it's both. Then there is the power profile of the machine - the fan starts spinning like crazy almost immediately if you start running something that eats up one processor core.

It's still an impressive piece of hardware. The only thing that I really care about are the wireless driver bugs, so for me it's really okay, but next time I'm going for a mac unless I find something that I'm one hundred percent sure it works as good as one.

Leave a comment:

• rikkinho
    replied
    hm

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Maybe he want what Linus want too, RCs to be stablier . BTW why Ubuntu does not update that mesa-stable? They stay at 10.1.0 with only few patches, but latest stable is 10.1.4 . Or they only pick something at explicit request - only if someone fill a bug or something like that? .

Or they just not do it
    it will be a good ideia if they add a PPA for last stable mesa drivers, they graphics stack it's not good if you want the last one stable

Leave a comment:

• rikkinho
    replied
    ubuntu mesa

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Maybe he want what Linus want too, RCs to be stablier . BTW why Ubuntu does not update that mesa-stable? They stay at 10.1.0 with only few patches, but latest stable is 10.1.4 . Or they only pick something at explicit request - only if someone fill a bug or something like that? .

Or they just not do it
    mesa 10.1.3 in proposed, i upgrade only mesa to 10.1.3, i notice no difference from 10.1.0

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    you suck michael, learn something, if you are using unstable kernel and unstable mesa drivers what you want? use the stable drivers and kernel and stop with this nonsense, i have the same laptop you have ubuntu 14.04lts with kernel 3.13 and mesa 10.1 no such problems.... go back to mac if want, who cares?

Or they just not do it
    Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2014, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X