No announcement yet.

I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People should read the thread before replying.

Daniel Vetter (aka danvet) confirmed an i915 driver bug in this thread.

Comment

My AMD 6370 latop also experiences text break up like the MacBook using latest open source drivers.

Comment

I bet disabling SNA fixes that graphics bug too with the fonts

Or applying that kernel fix linked to in the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Oh do I have stories for you about Asus support......
          Same thing on the "oh we are sooooooo linux friendly" Intel. (motherboard)

We desperately need a high-end linux only laptop MFG.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            My AMD 6370 latop also experiences text break up like the MacBook using latest open source drivers.
            Then that can also be some cairo issue . Chris doesn't make "stable" releases for cairo recently, just like for the intel ddx... for the reason unknow .
            Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I suspected that response

The problem with System 76 systems is that they don't offer any screen with a resolution better than 1080p. It is really hard to go back to a 1080p screen after getting used to a HiDPi screen.
              I understand that it is annoying to switch from a 200+ DPI screen back to 96 or 82. But it certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. I'd rather get to work without any hassle . Perhaps '76 or 'Za has an HiDPI screen in the works? It couldn't hurt to ask.

Another alternative would be to get a "companion" device. I use the ASUS TF701T which has a 300 DPI 10.1" screen and keyboard dock. When I want the HiDPI for browsing, etc, the TF701T's performance and display are brilliant. One can pick up the tablet + keyboard combo these days for $420, with the tablet alone as low as $300. I use it to remotely log into my Linux servers, and the terminal at 300DPI is nice. I return to my lowDPI desktops (2560x1440 and 3840x1200) and 1080p laptop when I use Kubuntu.
              Last edited by deppman; 28 May 2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post

Fix it yourself(use a stable kernel) and stop bitching or go back to the Mac side. No one is forcing you to stick on linux but try not to bitch & whine & complain about problems you cause for yourself.
                To me this attitude is the biggest problem in the Linux world, there is a vocal contingent of users who tell people that find problems to go back to Mac or Windows without addressing the issue at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by edude03 View Post
                  To me this attitude is the biggest problem in the Linux world, there is a vocal contingent of users who tell people that find problems to go back to Mac or Windows without addressing the issue at hand.
                  Michael also said that the system occasionally reboots itself. It might be a kernel bug, or a hardware or overheating problem. He needs stable computing environment. He can't spend time chasing bugs or reporting hardware failures all the time. And that is what Linux can't provide on the desktop. For what is worth he might have had the same problems with Windows. So, the only option right now is Apple. That is if you can tolerate their bullshit. If not then good luck with Windows or Linux.

Comment

The problem with System 76 systems is that they don't offer any screen with a resolution better than 1080p. It is really hard to go back to a 1080p screen after getting used to a HiDPi screen.
                    14" 1080p is 157 PPI, which is not great but is not the worst either.

I have a 740su (the Galago model, just from a different vendor) and it spoils me compared to run of the mill 21" 1080p screens.

Comment

Michael, that's Linux

You should've expected things to break ... Even if there are no noticable bugs on Linux, it never feels as right as Windows / OS X

Comment

Working...
                      X