Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux is an excellent option

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
    Michael also said that the system occasionally reboots itself. It might be a kernel bug, or a hardware or overheating problem. He needs stable computing environment. He can't spend time chasing bugs or reporting hardware failures all the time. And that is what Linux can't provide on the desktop. For what is worth he might have had the same problems with Windows. So, the only option right now is Apple. That is if you can tolerate their bullshit. If not then good luck with Windows or Linux.
    Correction: Linux is the only option. There are companies that provide excellent, stable, supported Linux laptops at very reasonable prices. The only deficiency is the lack of HiDPI screen - 1080p only.

The prbolem is Michael just wanted it all, and is trying to use a bleeding edge machine for work. HiDPI screen that doesn't work well with Windows? Check. Brand new Intel IGP? Check. Selection of a vendor that doesn't want to know or support his OS of choice? Check. Unfortunately the bleeding edge is where you bleed.

I've been tempted to get a HiDPI laptop myself to experiment with. And thanks to having reliable production systems, I get paid well enough that I can afford to do so. But I'd never get a bleeding edge machine for production use.

ps. I've been running happily Linux only on PC's since 1998. I've always enjoyed responding to the BSA shake-down letters MS would send to my businesses I'd share a typical response here, but we are in mixed company.
    Last edited by deppman; 28 May 2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
      Correction: Linux is the only option. There are companies that provide excellent, stable, supported Linux laptops at very reasonable prices. The only deficiency is the lack of HiDPI screen - 1080p only.

The prbolem is Michael just wanted it all, and is trying to use a bleeding edge machine for work. HiDPI screen that doesn't work well with Windows? Check. Brand new Intel IGP? Check. Selection of a vendor that doesn't want to know or support his OS of choice? Check. Unfortunately the bleeding edge is where you bleed.

I've been tempted to get a HiDPI laptop myself to experiment with. And thanks to having reliable production systems, I get paid well enough that I can afford to do so. But I'd never get a bleeding edge machine for production use.

ps. I've been running happily Linux only on PC's since 1998. I've always enjoyed responding to the BSA shake-down letters MS would send to my businesses I'd share a typical response here, but we are in mixed company.
      If you think that HiDPI screens don't work well with Windows I feel bad for you. Now, Michael is mistaken to believe that running a Git kernel would do anything other than crash (obviously they don't crash that often but you should run them with the expectation that they will, to be safe) but the stables kernels should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

As many Phoronix readers will recall, I switched from a Retina MacBook Pro to an ASUS Zenbook Prime ultrabook. After overcoming some issues, the setup was nice, but I'm already having some regrets and issues...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMzE
        I'm glad that there are people out there like you, Michael. FWIW, it only took Intel 2 years to make their drivers stable on my Sandy Bridge.
        This was after the chip was out. What the world really needs is a 64-bit ARM laptop with Nvidia graphics. Think about how much power
        we would save by not having an integrated GPU.

Comment

HiDPI + Windows is bleeding edge

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
          If you think that HiDPI screens don't work well with Windows I feel bad for you.
          You are obviously in denial. My point was that Windows - the OS shipping with this laptop - is still having teething problems on HiDPI displays. It is bleeding edge technology. An excerpt from the article:

Alas, Windows doesn't scale perfectly. Most of the Windows UI scales just fine, but some bits don't scale at all, appearing at 100% even if the rest of the UI is at 200%.
          And that is the best Windows gets in version 8.1. But most people run Windows 7 which sucked substantially more (and Vista just plain sucked ). And application support is still spotty. If you think otherwise, then you are lying to yourself.
          Last edited by deppman; 28 May 2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            The problem with System 76 systems is that they don't offer any screen with a resolution better than 1080p. It is really hard to go back to a 1080p screen after getting used to a HiDPi screen.
            It's not quite transparent but 1080p @13.3 is definitely usable. I'm assuming they even offer such systems, though.

Comment

Here is the model I would consider

Originally posted by liam View Post
              It's not quite transparent but 1080p @13.3 is definitely usable. I'm assuming they even offer such systems, though.
              Here is the 14.1" model: https://system76.com/laptops/model/galu1

I have a perfectly serviceable 15" 1080p i7 model from a few years ago. But this definitely has better design and battery life.

Comment

you suck

you suck michael, learn something, if you are using unstable kernel and unstable mesa drivers what you want? use the stable drivers and kernel and stop with this nonsense, i have the same laptop you have ubuntu 14.04lts with kernel 3.13 and mesa 10.1 no such problems.... go back to mac if want, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
                  Here is the 14.1" model: https://system76.com/laptops/model/galu1

I have a perfectly serviceable 15" 1080p i7 model from a few years ago. But this definitely has better design and battery life.
                  I have the 740su (the model the galago is based on) and it does not have better battery life, really.

I get around ~6 hours. Wait, that is probably really good. I think I might just be spoiled on "all-day" phones and tablets.

Anyway, the build quality is ass, but I knew that going into it - I didn't think doubling the price or halving the performance was worth getting a metal body over a composite one. I've had it for a few months now and it is pretty good, besides the wobbly crazy thin screen.

On topic - you CANNOT complain when you buy a WINDOWS computer and it ends up not being a stableLINUX computer. If you want a Linux computer YOU BUY A LINUX MACHINE.

I run Arch, and my 740su has NEVER had a regression or crippling hardware issues. All I did was replace the bare model wifi NIC from Xotic (on purpose) with a ath9462, because I can get them for $11 off ebay and those nics are literally the best chips I've ever used - great bluetooth and wifi, and no firmware blobs and mainline kernel support for over two years. Sadly, I've heard the system76 horror stories and had to pass on the vendor that ships Linux only, but Xotic ships with no OS all the same.

I'd recommend the Dell Sputnik for anyone who wants to see what Linux is actually capable of. A friend of mine has the 2013 model and it has never had a fault - if you want stable, you throw 12.04 (or 14.04 now) on a Sputnik and never do anything to break it. And it won't break.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    I have the 740su (the model the galago is based on) and it does not have better battery life, really. I get around ~6 hours. Wait, that is probably really good. I think I might just be spoiled on "all-day" phones and tablets.
                    Dude, that is *so* much better than the 15" laptop I have. It has an awful 6 cell battery. Mix in an older i7, and you get about 2.5 hours of battery. So its only 4x better.

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    I'd recommend the Dell Sputnik for anyone who wants to see what Linux is actually capable of. A friend of mine has the 2013 model and it has never had a fault - if you want stable, you throw 12.04 (or 14.04 now) on a Sputnik and never do anything to break it. And it won't break.
                    Ooh, good point. I forgot about the Sputnik. Great recommendation. Last I knew the laptop was too small for my uses. Perhaps they have release a 15" model?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                      you suck michael, learn something, if you are using unstable kernel and unstable mesa drivers what you want? use the stable drivers and kernel and stop with this nonsense, i have the same laptop you have ubuntu 14.04lts with kernel 3.13 and mesa 10.1 no such problems.... go back to mac if want, who cares?
                      Maybe he want what Linus want too, RCs to be stablier . BTW why Ubuntu does not update that mesa-stable? They stay at 10.1.0 with only few patches, but latest stable is 10.1.4 . Or they only pick something at explicit request - only if someone fill a bug or something like that? .

Or they just not do it
                      Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X