No announcement yet.

I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is very hard to relate to this specific case until we know the cause. However, your experience is not unique, power consumption and buggy graphics drivers is still very much a challenge on linux. It just underlines that linux is not ready for the desktop yet. I am very happy to see the progress done on both accounts the last years, so I do believe you have been a bit unlucky (whereas just four years ago your issues was very common). In any case, the year of the linux desktop is still not here, and we all need to be patient and keep focussed for yet some more time to iron out the issues.

In the mean time, consider wasting some time hunting the causes. If the machine is overheating prior to reboots, that should be possible to monitor. It should also then be easy to locate the sinner (i.e., is it CPU or GPU, is it a runaway process or a GPU driver issue). Distro-hopping may or may not be a solution here. Your hardware is brand new, so you probably need to go with a fairly bleeding distro anyway. In this case Ubuntu 14.04 is as good as any other (and no, I am not saying this as an Ubuntu fanboy if anybody got that impression).

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
      hardware related problem imo. Try to run some graphics intensive tests over period of time and log temp sensors that are available
      If it was a hardware related issue, then he would also face similar problems in windows.

Don't worry, everything would be fixed soon.
      Sometime ago I had similar restart problems with my radeom GPU. Back then, I had filed a bug in the freedesktop.org.
      It turn out to be a bug in the cairo package.
      I suggest you trying one of the LTS kernels to test any kernel related issue. For instance, I am using kernel 3.4.91 in ubuntu 14.04 without any problem.
      Maybe switching to ubuntu 12.04.4 would be the last option.

Comment

Originally posted by danvet View Post
        We've screwed up batch placement a bit in 3.15, and 3.15-rc7 doesn't have the fix for that yet. It's in drm-intel-fixes, Jani just sent the pull request for that to Dave yesterday.
        @Michael

Hanging reported there for Iris , so Michael it is compile time for you .

Comment

If it is a RAM problem, the RAM test boot option (don't remember the exact name right now) that comes by default with Ubuntu installations usually finds that in a couple of minutes.

Comment

it seems another crapple sponsored FUD. Use stable system or shut up.

Comment

Get a supported device

Michael you do a great job! But please pick a supported device. If my experience is any guide, you will be much happier and productive. Leave the Zenbook for tinkering. Running Linux on this cutting edge hardware is like running a "Hackintosh" on a Dell and - after finding that Mavericks doesn't work properly - coming to the conclusion that OSX sucks.

Get a system76 or a zareason laptop for work. They are designed and spec's to work well with Linux. I run Kubuntu on a 76 desktop and laptop - no problem. And they support the Ubuntu updates on the day of release. Given your high visibility to their target market, one of these vendors would probably give you a discount or other incentive to try their machine.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
                Michael you do a great job! But please pick a supported device. If my experience is any guide, you will be much happier and productive. Leave the Zenbook for tinkering. Running Linux on this cutting edge hardware is like running a "Hackintosh" on a Dell and - after finding that Mavericks doesn't work properly - coming to the conclusion that OSX sucks.

Get a system76 or a zareason laptop for work. They are designed and spec's to work well with Linux. I run Kubuntu on a 76 desktop and laptop - no problem. And they support the Ubuntu updates on the day of release. Given your high visibility to their target market, one of these vendors would probably give you a discount or other incentive to try their machine.
                The problem with System 76 systems is that they don't offer any screen with a resolution better than 1080p. It is really hard to go back to a 1080p screen after getting used to a HiDPi screen.

Comment

I once reported an issue with the firmware in my ASUS motherboard that causes all kinds of errors in Linux, but was simply told that they, ASUS, do not support Linux.

Comment

Sell the thing and get yourself a Mac. Don't bother with running Linux on a new hardware. It always falls flat on its face.

p.s. for what is worth I've also had way too many problems on the latest Dell hardware. It seams that the non-Apple OEM/ODMs aren't capable of producing high-quality products without handholding from Google or Apple.
                    Last edited by Anarchy; 28 May 2014, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                      I once reported an issue with the firmware in my ASUS motherboard that causes all kinds of errors in Linux, but was simply told that they, ASUS, do not support Linux.
                      Oh do I have stories for you about Asus support......

Comment

Working...
                      X