• hajj_3
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    That thing has some nice specs:

Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
    GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
    Storage 8 GB internal
    Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

Not often do you see 2gb ram on an ARM box.
    dolby digital plus, optical audio out and hdmi 1.4b too. It has nice specs for a very cheap linux box, just buy a card reader with lots of usb ports built in and you have a pretty sweet htpc/linux pc once you have rooted it and installed linux and xbmc.

It is a shame that it is 10/100 ethernet and not 10/100/1000 but that isn't the end of the world.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    That thing has some nice specs:

Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
    GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
    Storage 8 GB internal
    Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

Not often do you see 2gb ram on an ARM box.

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied
    Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
    Nope. Hopefully an update will come out supporting this feature since it is one of the features that is frustrating most customers.

Don't know about the second question. But I imagine you can side-load content onto the sdcard. For a local fileserver, you'd have the overhead of playing through the Silk browser, but I think it's possible. Can anyone confirm?
    Oh, that's a shame. Was going to buy one for my mother if it was easily voice navigatable as she gets lost in the roku I got her for Christmas a fair bit.

Leave a comment:

• FourDMusic
    replied
    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    Does the voice search work with non-amazon instant video applications such as Netflix? Is there any ability to stream media from a local fileserver/external HD?
    Nope. Hopefully an update will come out supporting this feature since it is one of the features that is frustrating most customers.

Don't know about the second question. But I imagine you can side-load content onto the sdcard. For a local fileserver, you'd have the overhead of playing through the Silk browser, but I think it's possible. Can anyone confirm?

Leave a comment:

• mendieta
    replied
    I don't know. I own two Kindle Fire tablets. Except for the Amazon Video content (which is good), they are awful. You can't use Google Play. You can't get regular android apps. It's basically not much better than using an Apple device. And to make things worse, the older of the two (1st Gen Kindle) is having the charging problems that many people reported (it just refuses to charge). Amazon won't help.

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied
    Does the voice search work with non-amazon instant video applications such as Netflix? Is there any ability to stream media from a local fileserver/external HD?

Leave a comment:

• Amazon Fire TV: A Nice Device For Internet Video Streaming

Phoronix: Amazon Fire TV: A Nice Device For Internet Video Streaming

This week Amazon unveiled the Fire TV as a small network appliance primarily for HD video streaming and complemented by some gaming and mobile app capabilities. The Fire TV is powered by Amazon's Android-based Kindle Fire OS so in this weekend review are my initial impressions of this Linux-based media system after using it the past two days.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X