X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robclark
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    So, is this why they disable XBMC support for Amazon Prime, so they can sell their own crappy hardware? No thanks, I'll stick to XBMC.
    well, *if* we can manage to get it rooted enough to load our own kernel, then linux+xbmc on this thing should be a possibility ;-)

ofc would be nice if it wasn't as locked down as it is.. good thing x86 laptops/desktops aren't as locked down as android devices..

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    So, is this why they disable XBMC support for Amazon Prime, so they can sell their own crappy hardware? No thanks, I'll stick to XBMC.

Leave a comment:

• robclark
    replied
    Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
    I've seen multiple online reviews which say 802.11b/g/n yet Amazon's own site says 802.11a/b/g/n. So which is it?

Are the reviewers just copying and pasting something Amazon sent them, which is different from what's on Amazon's site?
    according to the ifixit teardown, the wireless/bluetooth part is:

so, 802.11a/b/g/n

Leave a comment:

• linuxjacques
    replied
    I've seen multiple online reviews which say 802.11b/g/n yet Amazon's own site says 802.11a/b/g/n. So which is it?

Are the reviewers just copying and pasting something Amazon sent them, which is different from what's on Amazon's site?

Leave a comment:

• robclark
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Oh, you can actually buy one of those ifc6410 boards. I recall when Qualcomm boards were not purchasable by mere mortals.

Case-wise, what good is using an existing standard (pico-itx) and then placing ports on several edges.
    yup, mere mortals can buy 'em.. there was a bit of a back order when they first started shipping last year. For ifc6410, all the ports you'd need once everything is installed (assuming you are using hdmi audio rather than headphone jack) are on the back edge.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Oh, you can actually buy one of those ifc6410 boards. I recall when Qualcomm boards were not purchasable by mere mortals.

Case-wise, what good is using an existing standard (pico-itx) and then placing ports on several edges.

Leave a comment:

• robclark
    replied
    That thing has some nice specs:

Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
    GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
    Storage 8 GB internal
    Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

Not often do you see 2gb ram on an ARM box.
    fyi, spec-wise, it is rather close to the inforce ifc6410 board ($149). The inforce board has gigabit ethernet (and 2G of DDR3 vs 2G of LPDDR2), and a SATA connector. Both have wifi/bluetooth. But the amazon-tv has digital audio. According to the inforce web site, there is a ifc6412 coming in near future ($99.. seems to have same apq8064/snapdragon-600 as fire tv and ifc6410, but other than that not sure what the differences are yet).

But the amazon-tv will look somewhat nicer next to my TV than a bare arm board + hardrive + bunch of cables. But otoh, if someone actually did make a decent pico-itx case (for the inforce boards), that wouldn't be such an issue. ;-)

I get my fire-tv on Thurs.. so I really hope we manage to root it (although, I'm pretty sure amazon has done their best to make this a hard challenge). If rooted, it could make a nice replacement for my current xbmc setup. Once we get it rooted, we should be able to use the same userspace that we already use on various other snapdragon boards and devices (dragonboard, ifc641x, bStem, etc). XBMC already runs nicely with freedreno, and software decode should be fine for up to 720p (as long as thermal throttling doesn't kick in, which shouldn't be much of a problem from what I've seen in the fire-tv teardowns). Hopefully soon someone has some time to work on hw video decode.

Compared to a phone/tablet, it doesn't have the USB OTG connector brought out, so getting at fastboot may be, umm, interesting. I'm hopefully that we manage to figure out something, although no guarantees that it isn't a hardware hack. One of my friends already has his and is playing around with trying to solder up the debug UART connector on the pcb, and trying to figure out what that 16 pad connector behind the SoC is. (My guess is some sort of connector for a debug breakout board with JTAG, and maybe if I'm lucky USB OTG.)

Fwiw, interesting factoid: amazon's open src code drop for the fire tv (aka the-big-tarball) contains a modified grub 0.97 src tree... which initially had my hopes up, but at this point it seems to be built for x86. Maybe at one point amazon had two competing designs in development in parallel, one x86 based and on with the snapdragon.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Frett
    replied
    Price

So if I buy stream 10 movies per month from Amazon and have a sub to Showtime then I would be paying the same amount as my DirecTV service which has more channels and movies; I can hear the $$$ rolling in for the IPTV people. The ignorance is stroooong with the Public on this one.

Leave a comment:

• frief
    replied
    a bargain? a bargain!

The voice is processed within Amazon's cloud but the results were near instant and [..]
    So you donated your voice profile?

To some surprise, the device was already associated with my Amazon Prime account as soon as [..]
    Surprise? Irony? Please clarify.

Soon as the device was connected there was some system updates to be applied
    Did you receive a plain image or did you feel targeted?

for the living room [..] [..] At $99 USD the device isn't a bad deal assuming [..]
    Yes indeed. But why do you mention its price 6 (six) times in the article? Conventional inteligence would have charged a few bucks (knowing that and when you bought a device, when you're watching, what you're watching, when you switch channels, kindle, voice profile, linking to your Amazon interests. This seems costly. Does the device include a browser? Where can you turn on cookies?) so it's probably common sense that this is not a bad deal.

And if you look closer there might be a marketing vector in your hand potentially a few times a day:
    http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer..._firetv_16_lrg
    This might be worth one or the other cent in the long run.
    We know we maybe had better bought some Amazon shares a while ago but I would be enthusiastic if you could give me a tip where to buy some N SA shares?

Have a good day!

Leave a comment:

• mendieta
    replied
    That thing has some nice specs:

Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
    GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
    Storage 8 GB internal
    Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

Not often do you see 2gb ram on an ARM box.
    Ah, that is a good point. Has anyone hacked it to run a vanilla Linux distro yet? Does it even have a Linux friendly BIOS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X