Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS MX279H 27-inch LED-Lit AH IPS Monitor

Phoronix: ASUS MX279H 27-inch LED-Lit AH IPS Monitor

The ASUS MX279H is a nicely built 27-inch LED-Lit monitor that retails for just over $300 USD, but to the dismay of some, its resolution is just 1920 x 1080.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

1080p is way to low for a 27" in my opinion. I got myself a korean 1440p monitor for the same price.

Comment

Nah, too low. Right now I'm looking into buying one of these cheap 39" 4K "TV" but what holds me off is that I can't find if Gallium3D supports it and all Michael can tell is "I can't game on it.". See, that would be an interesting 2D benchmark "FOSS drivers and 4K".

Or at least Michael tell us if you can move windows around without lag on FOSS drivers...

Comment

We can get 3200x1800 on 14 inch laptops now, but apparently some manufacturers think we have to be content with 1920x1080 on a 27 inch desktop monitor. Less than half the pixels across almost 4x the screen area.

Comment

I don't know why i should buy more than 1080p.
          Watching videos? Does it make a difference?
          Gaming? I don't want to buy a high end pc just to be able to play at ridiculous resolutions.
          For daily work it wouldn't really make a difference, does it?

You see ... crying "it's not enough" is not enough. Why do you need more, guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            Gaming? I don't want to buy a high end pc just to be able to play at ridiculous resolutions.

Well, for starters "because we can" is a pretty good reason. Pushing the limit is always fun.
            Other than that, I guarantee that after reading for a long time on a low(er) DPI display my eyes hurt a lot more than on a high DPI display. Admittedly at some point it starts getting useless, but we're not there yet.

My main issue with this (and most) screens is the useless 16:9 ratio. I have two 4:3 displays connected to my main PC, and I wouldn't change them even if you gave me a 16:9 for free (I'd consider 16:10).
            People are a lot better at reading vertically than horizontally => for written content widescreen makes no sense at all. Hollywood won that battle

Comment

Originally posted by ricequackers View Post
              We can get 3200x1800 on 14 inch laptops now
              I wish all monitors below 27 inch came with a standard resolution greater than 1080p.

None of them breaks that barrier - the glass ceiling has been hit. :-(

(No, I do not shop at best buy, I linked there to attempt to show "mainstream". I see the same at Newegg too.)

Comment

What's going on with the lack of DVI sockets in new screens??

HDMI has a latency overhead that makes it inappropriate for gaming.

Comment

Especially for work like video/photo editing, coding or just having two documents side by side the extra screen real estate from a 1440p monitor is priceless.
                  I bet you money that you wouldn't go back after using a 27" 1440p monitor for month. I can now actually read ebooks on my desktop without my eyes getting tired.

Comment

Yeah, and 640K RAM is enough for everybody....

Really, I DO need it for work, it's much better for me than lets say 4x FullHD monitor. And many others share my opinion...

Comment

Working...
                    X