Western Digital WD10EZEX: A 1TB SATA 3.0 HDD For $60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karasu View Post
    idle3-tools works for the EZRX at least.
    That's good to know. Note that wdidle3 is a different, official utility, which works in DOS and sets the idle timer in hardware.

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
    If you think that is a lot then my system disk in server reports

Load_Cycle_Count as 2839993 over Power_On_Hours 26666 which is ~306726 for given period of 4 months. And that is with a var/tmp and /tmp in the ramdisk and several less important logs such as from distccd directed to the /tmp/logs and no scheduled file indexing... but several different server demons running on it

I welcome any ideas to further decrease that number. I definitely will checkout that idle3-tools
    My WD Caviar Black statistics:
    Code:
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   074   074   000    Old_age   Always       -       19110
     12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       2176
    193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age   Always       -       4011
    Although for laptop drives, I have much worse ratios. I hear that setting APM through hdparm may make it better (hdparm -B 254). Also, what's your disk model?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Also, what's your disk model?
      I was reluctant to give its name out at first in case WD would like to pull out from sales quite a well working disk for me, but it seems they did so already so here it comes

Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Green
      Device Model: WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0

Comment

I was reluctant to give its name out at first in case WD would like to pull out from sales quite a well working disk for me, but it seems they did so already so here it comes

Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Green
        Device Model: WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0
        Oh yea, that's the original Caviar Green. I have a similar model as well. For that one, do use wdidle3 (from a FreeDOS live USB or such): http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...id=609&sid=113

Comment

180KB/s random write speed.... 180... Kilobytes.... per.... second......

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Western Digital WD10EZEX: A 1TB SATA 3.0 HDD For $60

For those in the market for an affordable, large-capacity hard drive, the Western Digital WD10EZEX offers 1TB of storage for about $60 USD. If you are curious how this low-cost Serial ATA 3.0 hard drive performs against other SATA HDDs and SSDs under Ubuntu Linux, here's a set of new disk benchmarks as we test out this SATA 3.0 HDD.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19726
            The 150 GB Velociraptor kicks its butt in all but two of the benchmarks. And 150 GB Velociraptor has 5 year warranty instead of 2. And it costs the same... VR is $59 on Newegg right now. Unless there's a need for >150 GB of capacity, the 150 GB VR seems like the better buy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Unless there's a need for >150 GB of capacity, the 150 GB VR seems like the better buy IMO.
              Or, add $30 and get a 120GB SSD which will run circles around any of those options. Unless you dislike having applications open instantly and booting in 5 seconds that is.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                Or, add $30 and get a 120GB SSD which will run circles around any of those options. Unless you dislike having applications open instantly and booting in 5 seconds that is.
                I value reliability and durability in a storage device, so I avoid bottom-dollar consumer grade SSD's. Five years from now the Velociraptor will be going strong (and still under warranty), but that low-end consumer SSD will be in a landfill somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Five years from now the Velociraptor will be going strong (and still under warranty), but that low-end consumer SSD will be in a landfill somewhere.
                  Unless you bought it yesterday in 5 years it will not be under warranty, and when it fails then you won't even remember we had this conversation That is, assuming you are still using it 5 years from now, which I highly doubt. See, anyone can make up predictions.

Interesting how some people read stories about a few particular models of SSDs failing, and quickly assume all SSDs are unreliable. By that logic you shouldn't even be using HDDs, because there are have also been lots of reports over the years about specific HDD models failing catastrophically. For example, I had one of those dreaded IBM "deathstars" that died about 3 years after purchase. The first models of WD's Raptors also had ridiculously high failure rates, yet here you are defending the Raptor.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    That is, assuming you are still using it 5 years from now, which I highly doubt. See, anyone can make up predictions.
                    I will be using my 1 TB Velociraptors five years from now, I can assure you. The majority of my hard drives right now are from ~2008. Western Digital RE2 drives. I've got 12 of them spinning right now, with 3 spares on the shelf, and no plans to replace them any time soon. This is at home. At work I'm a data storage engineer, working exclusively with enterprise DAS, SAN, and NAS since the mid 1990's. I was benchmarking DEC enterprise SSD's in the 1990's, in RAID arrays that at the time cost more than most people's homes. In other words, my opinion is based on many years of professional experience. Enjoy your made-up predictions.

Comment

I welcome any ideas to further decrease that number. I definitely will checkout that idle3-tools
                      I run a background task that creates a new file and deletes it every five seconds. Now the load cycle count is no higher than the original Greens that didn't have this issue.

That said, I've never seen as high a percentage of drives fail before as the 3TB Greens, but that may just be bad luck. I should really check the load cycle count on the one I have in my Windows gaming PC (OK, the one of the two I have in there that is still working properly).

Comment

Working...
                      X