• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Very nice. Price?
    Hard to tell because i used some "salvaged" (build was OK but micro-ATX is too big ) parts from a micro-ATX build....however, by my calculations, if i lived in US, i believe i could make it in same price ranges than Lini PC with these specs that i consider better.

This build have margin to expand, for example, no matter case is so small, i could keep SlimODD and install both a SSD (120GB,) 7mm thick and a HDD (WD 1TB,) 7mm thick using a system where HDD is screwed to drives holder and then, SSD is screwed to HDD using two sideways fiberglass plates.

I done it in the past and works very well.

Another alternative is...

Discard SlimODD, use shorter springs and screws for heatsink installation, and then....brace yourselves.... install a fat 4TB 3.5" HDD and a 2.5" 120/240 GB SSD

This is only possible thanks to AsRock use in this MoBos that weird position for the DIMMs....in this case , is a decisive positive factor.

Leave a comment:

• guido12
    replied
    That's a nice looking case. Does anyone know where I can buy the gray/black one? I'd like it for my own build. All the low profile mini-ITX cases I've seen just look so cheap.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
    Good machine, Good price, CPU low consume, GPU graphics good and another specs from mini pc

On windows must be work without problems but on linux (AMD hardware is good but lack software support) driver support is very bad compared from nvidia
    My experience with it in Window$ is indeed nice and power drain very good (thanks also to underclock and undervolting done) , even noise level is better than ATX builds that i had made in the past.
    Very good temps also...i bet it can deal with our Summers with temps of 40C

As for Linux, only experimented with Catalyst and both video playback and the games i played (not many because this machine was build to use Window$ for some months (want reach Level 50 in BFBC2 ) played really well.

I have high hopes that AMD will improve their driver for Linux in the next months, mainly driven by SteamOS "challenge".

As for APU socket, this MoBo uses FM2+ socket that accepts AMD Trinity, Richland, Kaveri, and, in a non-offical manner, it's already "confirmed" that will also support Carrizo

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Maybe i should start to be a GNU/LINUX or SteamBox OEM

Check out one of my latest builds:

With A6-5400K (to be replaced by a Kaveri (or by a Carrizo)) running at 3200MHz ( i actually can run it at 3600MHz, even in Summer if i use stock fan of APU slightly modified to be 15mm tall) , iGPU at 608MHz, 8GB DDR3 at 2133MHz, 500GB HDD (gonna be replaced by something with bigger capacity) and even includes a SlimODD , WiFi and BT

It's my only PC running Window$ but that issue soon will besolved because i gonna replaced it by Slackware 14.1, Linux Mint 17 XFCE Edition or SteamOS (or 2 of these 3 OS in a Dual Boot configuration).
    Very nice. Price?

Leave a comment:

• mczak
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    And 10 execution units vs 6 on Ivy Bridge.
    Yes it is definitely quite a bit better than HD2500 thanks to the higher unit count (approaching near HD 3000 performance, though of course the TDP of the respective chips also plays a big role here).

I'd wish though Michael would fix his MacBook Pro so it wouldn't show heavily throttled cpu scores...

Leave a comment:

• rudregues
    replied
    It's very painful living here in Brazil without chance to buy such a nice PC :-(

EDIT: forgot to mention, but I really leked the site too, I think it follows KISS way XD

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post

With A6-5400K (to be replaced by a Kaveri (or by a Carrizo)) running at 3200MHz ( i actually can run it at 3600MHz, even in Summer if i use stock fan of APU slightly modified to be 15mm tall) , iGPU at 608MHz, 8GB DDR3 at 2133MHz, 500GB HDD (gonna be replaced by something with bigger capacity) and even includes a SlimODD , WiFi and BT

It's my only PC running Window$ but that issue soon will besolved because i gonna replaced it by Slackware 14.1, Linux Mint 17 XFCE Edition or SteamOS (or 2 of these 3 OS in a Dual Boot configuration).
    Good machine, Good price, CPU low consume, GPU graphics good and another specs from mini pc

On windows must be work without problems but on linux (AMD hardware is good but lack software support) driver support is very bad compared from nvidia

if you use open source driver gains compatibility but lose performance (But in your case iGPU on A6 5400K is based on VLIW5 arquitecture) and you use privative driver gains performance boost but lose compatibility (this is your case if you want kaveri or another, if AMD not change socket specs at launch moment especially with carrizo)

I have this machine, cost more but gives you features (4K H.264 GPU assistance (Kepler GPU required), VDPAU, other privative driver features), compatibility and performance

Nvidia Drivers 331.20
    Linux Mint 15 KDE 32Bit - Kernel 3.8.0.26 PAE
    CPU: INTEL Pentium G3220 (Nucleo Haswell 22nm) 3.0Ghz (Dual-Core) Stock Clock
    MEM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4) Patriot value (128 bit dual channel: 21.3 gb/s)
    GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Zone Edition Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 1800Mhz 64Bit (14.4Gb/s)
    MAINBOARD: MSI H81M E33
    And if you have testing wine, NVIDIA runs much better than AMD (performance and compatibility increased)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 18 December 2013, 09:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by ickle View Post
    Roughly equal to Ivybridge HD2500 (with a marginally improved architecture).
    And 10 execution units vs 6 on Ivy Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Thirsty
    replied
    I bought last week a smaller and faster system with the power connector at the back.
    Specs: I3-4330, Asus Q87T with Silverstone PT13 housing. Idle power consumption is great. 16-18 watts.
    Small test: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-1312048SO44

Leave a comment:

Working...
X